1955 S Roosevelt Dime Misplaced MM

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Paddy54, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I have been searching Roosevelt dimes for several reasons. One I'm putting together a set of Unc. toned coins from 46-64, and next for varieties. I ran across this one at the Baltimore show. not only is it an OMM but it's also misplaced mint mark. Noticed how skinny the S is ...as well how it's right up against the torch. I believe this to be another new find. I also showed my 64 P hot lips to several people at the show and all seem to believe it's the real deal. So when I send it off for attribution I may as well include this one. There are two images the first is the new 55 S the second the toned 55 S OMM I got a few weeks back. 1955 S misplaced MM Roosevelt dime.jpg 1955 S Roosvelt dime S.jpg

KurtS, tommyc03 and Aidan_() like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

I just did some research on mint marks at Variety Vista and it seems that the mint mark on the top image is the tall "S" MM- 008 an mint mark used on Lincoln cents 1952,53,54,&55 then again in the years 1968,through 1974.
    Someone used the wrong punch! As it was not used on any other coins but Lincoln cents.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    dwhiz likes this.
  4. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Just for fun, I scaled the two images to a similar size and put both S's together to compare the size/shape--the serifs are definitely a different style.

[​IMG]

UnCommonCents and Paddy54 like this.
  5. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I think it was just left off accidentally on variety vista, or left off for redundancy. The MS67 example on photograde is a 1955-S with that MMS. There are no MMS listings for the 1955-S dime & we know there were San Fran minted dimes. It does look like an RPM though.

6. Paddy54

The reason it's not on variety vista is until now no one has sent it in.

loopytoad74 and frog eye 73 like this.
  7. tnosam

tnosam New Member

I found a 1954 S roosevelt with the same kissing torch S mint mark. anyone else know of any found. wondering if I should send in to PCGS or NGC. any thoughts. tnosam@yahoo.com

Draft saved Draft deleted