1955 Mint Set Franklins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Skyman, May 31, 2016.

1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Here are the Franklins from the 1955 Mint Set I bought last summer. The first one will go in my B Franklin toner Dansco, and the second one will go in my A Franklin toner Dansco. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Both are nice toners but the first is my favorite of the two.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. The second one is my favorite. Beautiful coins. Nice pickup

5. David Leu

David Leu Member

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I agree, I think I like the second one better.

7. Anthony Giarratano

Anthony Giarratano New Member

Me thinks dey is frickin gorgeous!

8. Anthony Giarratano

Being a newbie I am quite impressed! Those coins are gorgeous.

9. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Thank you Anthony!

BTW, being a Newbie, I'm going to give you a little information about Franklins and Mint Sets. Franklins were made from 1948 - 1963. During that period, except for 1950, they were put into Mint Sets. A Mint Set contains two examples (showing one obverse and one reverse) of every coin made that year at that given Mint. During the 1948 - 1958 period (actually starting in 1947 when the half dollars were Walking Libertys), the Mint Sets were made out of paper and cardboard. Each Mint that produced coins during that year would put the coins into a cardboard "card" that had paper covering. For 1955 there were three cards, one each for the P, D and S Mints, with a grand total of 22 coins included. From 1959 - 1963 the Mint Sets were made out of plastic, which did not, for the most part, tone the coins.

The 1948 - 1958 paper and cardboard Mint Sets (because of their sulfur content) oftentimes toned the coins. Generally the toning is blah to ugly. In some cases the toning is spectacularly pretty. GENERALLY the earlier Mint Sets, e.g. 1948 - 1953, did not tone the coins as attractively as the later Mint Sets, e.g. 1956 - 1958. One thing that is noticeable is that for whatever reason, the latter P Mint coins (if they toned attractively) tended to get blue toning, while the D Mint coins (again, if they toned attractively) tended to get red and green toning.

In the above two coins, you can see the classic blue toning of P Mint Set coins.

I hope you enjoy the boards. You can learn a LOT on them and make long term friends. Even more important, I hope you have FUN collecting the coins that float your boat!!!

green18 and micbraun like this.
  10. Anthony Giarratano

Sky what is the best place to go for mint sets? E-Bay? Or Amazon? Need a little directional assistance. LOL

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I will take either or both. Nice coins!

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Have you tried the CT B/S/T forum?
    "WTB: 19xx silver mint set"
    Specify if you want high grade coins, toners, a special year/box/type etc...

13. Anthony Giarratano

Thank you Microbraun will do.

micbraun likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Welcome to the forum Anthony.........:)

15. Anthony Giarratano

Thank you green18;)

16. Anthony Giarratano

Well I'm a bit challenged at the abbreviations CT I know is CoinTalk but B/S/T "WTB:19xx that's stumping me. Can you be a little more specific until I get with the jargon? Thanks

17. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

With regards to finding Mint Sets, they can have some great coins in them, they can have some crappy coins in them. IMO, given how relatively expensive they've become over the last 5 years, the best thing to do is look at them in hand either at a B&M (brick & mortar... e.g. a coin shop) or at a coin show.

B/S/T stands for Buy/Sell/Trade. WTB stands for "want to buy". WTT stands for "want to trade". Most of the major coin boards, such as CT, PCGS and NGC will have some section devoted to selling coins. On CT the link is down at the bottom of the CT Forums page and is called, "For Sale".

18. Anthony Giarratano

Great that's a huge help thanks.

19. Anthony Giarratano

Thanks skyman.

Skyman likes this.
  20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

No problem, Anthony Gates :)

Draft saved Draft deleted