1955 Lincoln DDO FS-101 varieties?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin0709, May 4, 2014.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Hi All,
    I've recently acquired a nice 1955 Lincoln DDO FS-101 (the major variety). In researching realized prices on Heritage, it appears some MS63 or MS64 Red/Brown coins carry much higher prices than others. Is there a specific reason for this? Are there die sub-varieties are more collectable than others in the FS-101 variety? Any help with a reference book or website would be much appreciated. Cheers, RMiller

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The holder it is in and the looks of the coin will change the price.

4. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks. I'm going to have it slabbed by PCGS or NGC (and am expecting an MS62-MS64 grade). However, the research I've done online tells me there may be 2 different die varieties of the rare DDO FS-101...but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure what the markers are of each. Thoughts anyone?

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

There is only the 1 DDO FS-101 but there may be different subvarieties of a Doubled Die 1955 Cent. CONECA lists 10 different DDO's for 1955 of which only 4 encompass the business strike. The other 6 are proof coins.

The closest in resembling the FS-101 (god I hate that term - FS-blah blah blah since it implies that the CPG is the authority on doubled dies which it is NOT) which would be DDO-002 (XREF to FS-102).

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but what references/research has suggested two two die varieties for FS101?

Also, please feel free to share photos of the coin.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the non-counterfeit 1955/55 die #1 cent has a small elongated 'X' die marker on the reverse, that has been used by almost everyone to determine genuine. There have been some on the internet including this coin forum who insist that there was 2 dies, as their 55/55 DDO has no such mark, and they know it is good because Grandpa bought it or something. The obverse of an excellent counterfeit is hard to match, and there are many excellent fakes out there. There is no evidence that I have in my references that mention the 2nd reverse die.

8. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks everyone. Okay, maybe I misinterpreted or misread one of the websites discussing the DDO FS-101. Can you tell me more about the 'small elongated X die marker on the reverse'?

9. BooksB4Coins

10. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks for this great reference. I definitely have the small die gouge between the E and R in LIBERTY and the lines south of the T in CENT. Thus I believe it to be a Stage A doubled die. Would I be correct to assume that Stage A 1955/1955 carry a higher premium due to the presumed negative appearance of the Stage B scratches?

11. desertgem

I do not believe that there will be any difference in the price of stages unless someone is collecting a progression of the die wear. More significant will be appearance/grade and the surfaces/luster. One very small 'carbon ' spot would easily outweigh a different stage for this coin.

12. desertgem

"Would I be correct to assume that Stage A 1955/1955 carry a higher premium due to the presumed negative appearance of the Stage B scratches?"

If the 2 coins were exactly the same as far as grade/ appearance, surfaces ( amount of R)/luster and any minor bumps, then likely yes. But if not identical, these factors would over-ride the die state. One small black spot on the "A" would knock it below the "B", at least in my pocketbook, and I like to collect die states of certain error coins.

13. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Perfect. Your answers were precisely what I was after. I really appreciate it. I sure do hope it comes back an MS65 RB, but I think more realistically it looks like a MS63 RB or 64 RB. Best, RM

14. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Here are some unadjusted pictures I just took with my iPhone. Guess-timates on grade? I'm leaning towards using PCGS based on realized prices in the higher grades. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

15. BooksB4Coins

It is hard for me to get a feeling for the coin with the provided photos, but with that said, the coin appears to have an "AU-ish" look about it. Is there anyway you could post others?

Also, may I ask how you acquired the coin? If purchased, how was it presented to you by the seller?

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Perhaps you are thinking about the 1955/55 which is graded simply as: Doubled Die Obverse vs a 1955/55 DDO FS-101

If so, they are in fact the same coin but one was graded under the original coin number (2825) while the other was graded as a "Variety Attribution under coin number 37910.

Additionally, in the original post (OP) the question was posed as to different prices for 63-64 RB coins. Typically, coins which carry "more" red than brown will command higher premiums.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  17. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Yeah, I apologize for the photo quality, but thats the best I can provide right now since I'm away from home. I purchased the coin from my uncle's neighbor who got it and a hoard of other misc US coins from his father. It appears his father was a coin roll hunter several years ago based on his eclectic collection. Also included was a 1922 plain, 1931-s, and a two semi-key Barber quarters.

18. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

It looks right to me.

19. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

This coin came back PCGS MS63 RB today. Thanks for everyone's input.

Draft saved Draft deleted