1955 Double Die Lincoln. Cleaned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlwells04, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mlwells04

mlwells04 New Member

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum. I was just wondering if anyone could help me determine if my 1955 Double Die Lincoln cent has been cleaned. I know its really hard to tell just from pictured, so I'll try to get as close as possible. I'll upload the pictures and post a link in a little bit.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

if you post pictures im sure some one will be able to tell.

4. mlwells04

mlwells04 New Member

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

There should be two die polish lines that look like a long "X" just to the left of the upright in the T of CENT. This characteristic is found on genuine examples. It can normally be seen because it is located in the field very near the T which protects it from wear. I don't know how else to describe this genuine diagnostic without a photo.

The coin does look to be cleaned IMO. I think see actual scratches from the cleaning. The color gives the appearance of an old cleaning also.

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I made this photo to describe the general location of the two die polish lines which can be found on genuine 55 DDO coins. You need to have a good point source of light shining from the side in order to see the fine die polish lines.

Attached Files:

7. mlwells04

mlwells04 New Member

Thanks a lot for the response. I only have a 30x loupe, so even with ample lighting I wasn't able to see any die polish lines. It may be because they aren't there or I just cant see them. Either way I'm gunna take the coin to a local dealer and see what he thinks. Any other opinions are greatly appreciated!

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Harshly cleaned and retoned. Nonetheless, if it's genuine, it is still worth some good money. You should send it to ANACS.

Oh...the correct term is doubED die

9. mlwells04

mlwells04 New Member

Yea, was just a mistype. I tried to change it, but couldn't after I posted. How much is a cleaned doubled die worth in this state?

10. seasnake

seasnake Junior Member

I checked teletrade completed listings, they had 1 AU 50, cleaned that sold for $1,400

11. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

12. BadThad

I forgot to mention, there's a TON of fakes out there...in case you didn't know.

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Yes, there are some documented dies struck counterfeits

Hello mlwells04,
    Are those tooling marks on the bottom of the lapel on the obverse? I may see two marks on the lower right lapel that look similar to a photo I have depicting obverse #5 of a known die struck counterfeit. It may just be coincidence or cleaning marks. I'm not saying that the coin is suspect. But you can check a little closer to confirm that it is not one of the known fakes. Just check the reverse for a spike of metal coming upward from the rim at the lower right wheat stock. I can see the tip of the right wheat stock in your photo but cannot see any details below that in any of the photos. Just check for a little spike of metal on the reverse coming upward from the rim at about 5:30.

BTW, if there were a dimple right at the very end of the right wheat stock, that would also be indicative of a known die struck counterfeit.

14. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

I'll refine the search for cleaned on eBay, but for now how does GSC do it?? I haven't checked each of these listings individually however they are notorious for selling all raw coins that are suspect.

955/55 Lincoln Cent Penny "DDO" NEAR GEM BU ** RB!!!
    Yes Bid $9.95 $3,777.77 29 2010-11-02

1955/55 Lincoln Cent Penny "DDO" CHOICE UNCIRCULATED RB
    Yes Bid $9.95 $2,550.00 16 2010-10-23

1955/55 Lincoln Cent Penny "DDO" CHOICE BU++ ** SCARCE!
    Yes Bid $9.95 $2,195.00 15 2010-12-01

1955/55 Lincoln Cent Penny "DDO" CHOICE AU++/UNC * RARE
    Yes Bid $9.95 $1,926.00 15 2010-10-16

1955/55 Lincoln Cent Penny "DDO" CHOICE BU+ * RED BROWN
    Yes Bid $9.95 $1,876.00 19 2010-12-20

1955/55 Lincoln Cent Penny "DDO" CHOICE AU++ ** SCARCE!
    Yes Bid $9.95 $1,832.55 12 2010-12-16

1955/55 Lincoln Cent Penny "DDO" CHOICE AU ** RARE RARE
    Yes Bid $9.95 $1,676.00 13 2010-12-1

15. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

Certified improperly cleaned up to AU roughly $750

Certified MS details up to $1250

Those are all really old sales numbers from Heritage

16. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

17. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

I think it has been cleaned. LOTS of very minute scratches from the thing used to clean it

Just me, but it looks like it has a faint green spot near the E in Cent. Weird

18. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I surely hope that coin is genuine, I don't know how to authenticate the 55' DD's (yet). Never really paid attention to them. I'd go to a coin show or dealer and buy one that's certified. That's way too big of a risk. Rare Double Die that's worth close to $1000 + ebay + uncertified = red flag.

19. mlwells04

mlwells04 New Member

Yes, I was the buyer. However after close examination and a visit to my local coin dealer I decided to return the coin for a full refund. I don't believe that it is authentic and my dealer agreed with me. I knew it was a bit of a shot in the dark, but sometimes you get lucky buying raw coins. I'm only out about $5 for shipping, so all in all it wasn't a huge mistake. Thanks everyone for your input, I learned a lot about the 55 ddo that has all been very interesting. I think I will complete my set with a certified coin next time :)

20. BadThad

Not surprized it was a fake. Hopefully you've learned a lesson. NEVER buy a raw, key date coin from ebay. Even the slabs can be faked. If you're going to spend $1000+ on a coin, go see it for yourself in hand at a dealer or a show.

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

someone once said "There is no price to cheap for a problem coin"

OMG.

There was only 3-day return policy on the Ebay listing. I trust you have contacted the seller & there is 100% no-problem-agreement with the return. Get your refund carefully & quickly. Document the return & do not remove the coin from its holder etc.

When you are looking at a 55/55 in the future, feel free to post it at CT or contact someone by PM before you bid. We can all keep our eyes open for a good coin for you as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted