1955 D Penny - errors or damage?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by XANIA, May 31, 2011.

1. XANIA

XANIA New Member

I am a novice to all of this, so please excuse my ignorance in certain respects... I was looking through some pennies and came across this one that has left me with more questions than answers - and hoping someone could provide some further insight as to what these irregularities may be (I hope that the pictures are somewhat viewable). On the front -- the "B" in LIBERTY seems to be "pinched" together to form an extremely narrow B (it seems that the line in B is placed directly on top of the two loops in B). Also on the front there are some gashes to the upper left of the head, that have left globs of metal directly under the "G" and "D" in GOD, and three globs extending (and very noticeable) over the side, above the word "IN." As for the back -- at first I thought that there were some huge gouges across the entire length -- but on closer inspection, I believe it to be the result of a broken die, as the "U" in UNITED and the letters in the word "AMERICA" are sliced in such a fashion that whatever fragment of the letter is missing in the top side of the "tear," is in its entirety, located below the gap on the bottom side of the "tear" (it may not be completely visible in the photo, but very obvious when magnified in person). The tear that extends from the left wheat ear to the center of the "C" in CENT has left considerable globs of metal along the tear above the "U" and in the center of the "C." The rim seems to be thicker on the left side of the coin than the right. And lastly, there seems to be stamped an impression, with the likeness of a partial "third" wheat ear, directly to the right (along the rim) of the wheat ear on the right side. I don't know what all of this necessarily means, if anything, (I've searched the web for similarities to no avail)-- but I, personally, found these irregularities very interesting, and hope that someone could help me identify these unknown defects (to me at least) with my very limited, but hopefully soon to be expanding, knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! Bobby

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Nothing here but Post Mint Damage. All happened after the minting process.

4. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

The gauges are from something scratching it and the golbs of metal are nothing more than a sideways cut from a knife or something.this decreases the value of the coin and not an error. Sorry for the disappointment

5. XANIA

XANIA New Member

No disappointment at all (I didn't buy the coin) - I truly appreciate the learning opportunity... I still, though, would like to get an opinion on the "B" in LIBERTY -- as it appears to have been originally "pinched" or "squeezed" without any signs of surrounding damage, scratching, etc. Also, can anyone guide me to a picture of a major die break? -- the only ones that I've been able to find appear to be like tiny hairline fractures. Thanks for the input - I'm learning!...

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree!!!
    but there been few new 1955-D Wheat cent DV found in the past 5-6mo but 95% were all Gem Bu too.

7. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

Can you get a better picture of the b in liberty. Ps. Put a magifer to the camera when you take the picture.

8. bettyjean

bettyjean New Member

Attached Files:

9. bettyjean

bettyjean New Member

I think I have figured out how to upload pics but can only do it when I reply ...I have this 1955 D penny where the liberty looks like this almost like they put an extra I ...Libierty ...does anyone know about this one? Most of my stuff won't upload on this site for some reason so I hope this one does ..I don't have anyone to ask for help here with me ...is this a common coin error and what about a penny that only says 196 as the date nothing else just 196

10. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Agreed. I've seen enough of them to form that much of an educated opinion anyway.

11. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Me too bro! Have fun and enjoy. It's continually educational and entertaining.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Everything I see on the 55-D is just damage.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Major die crack.
    Image_0154crack.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted