1955 D over S Mint Mark Variety ( Bought a BU Roll and all 40 are the variety ) MS

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jjohnson3582506, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Is this a find of an unknown vlaue? If so any ideas on what I should do. I also got the same situation with the 1954 S over D mint mark variety in the same lot buy. I assume I have something really valuable but I am new to the game. Any help would be appreciated

1955 D over S.jpg 1955 D over S.jpg 1955 D Over S (2).jpg 1955 D Over S Mint Mark Nickel (2).jpg

wxcoin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

55 D over S is valuable.
    I can't tell if that's what you have or a D over D RPM.
    Even from the VV link above, it's very difficult to see the S.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Easy way to do this is, go to the variety and match your images to their images . Then there's no mistaking ....

6. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Terrific find. Was this an Ebay lot?

7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I can't seem to match it with any of the D/S varieties. I don't see a listing for a D/D variety for that year either.

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm not convinced it's a D/S. Photos are far too blurry to be sure of anything.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I also have a hard time with the photos matching it up with any RPM for that year. worse case scenario, send in 1 coins to a TPG, and if you are correct, BIG Time, otherwise only out for 1 coin. Don't be in a rush, take your time. Jim

wxcoin likes this.
  10. Sorry guys I fell asleep.. I will take some better photos and if you go to PCGS website the picture they have attributed as the D/S that sold for 3700.00 looks exactly like my pic. My personel opinion is a D over horizontal S. I can see it being horizontal really clearly. Let me upload a few photos so give me a few

11. Also, I bought 6 BU rolls that were under a desk at a coin shop in the town of Wilton, NH. I got to know this coin dealer and he said he bought these off a guy that sold his collection. How and why he didn't know these were in there is beyond me. I have a whole BU roll of the 54 S over D as well 40 of those in MS. I'm so pumped!! I will take high resolution photos here in a few. This coin dealer even gave me a receipt for the purchase and I paid 8 dollars for per BU Roll for these.

12. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good buy, especially if they turn out to be what you think they are.

13. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your find with us

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

As for the D over D I mentioned, I had what I thought was a possible D over S.
    But my old coin guy looked at it, and he said he thought it was a D over D.
    Now I had never heard of that variety, I am just relaying what he told me.

15. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

D/S ; S/D; O/CC are OVER MINT MARKS. P/P; D/D; S/S are REPUNCHED MINT MARKS. That is the reason you didn't see a listing. OMM and RPM are never listed on the same lists.

wxcoin and HaleiwaHI like this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

17. Good Pic 1.jpg I am thinking possible D over Horizontal S.. My last of the 7 photos I uploaded I drew a line on what I am seeing.. Whatcha guys think Good Pic 2.jpg Good Pic 3.jpg Good Pic 4.jpg Good Pic 5.jpg Good Pic 6.jpg Good Pic 1.jpg Good Pic 2.jpg Good Pic 3.jpg Good Pic 4.jpg Good Pic 5.jpg Good Pic 6.jpg

Attached Files:

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is an occupational problem when one wishes too hard. In hand there might be a possibility of a D/D, but if there are no listings for it already, most likely it is not. Since these were put on by hand punch and mallet, most people other than the fewer variety collectors then didn't care as long as it was the general shape. I am not a Jefferson variety collector but I do have a mm of a 1909 Lincoln cent with
    S/Horizontal S to see how they might look. They are hard to miss :) Jim

09s1.JPG

09s2.JPG

wxcoin likes this.
  19. wxcoin

I just don't see anything that would be a D/S. In your photos the look of the spread of the D looks different when the D is vertical and horizontal in the pictures. It makes me wonder how the lighting is affecting the visual perspective.

20. What kind of lighting should I use. I'm doing those photos with a USB scope and the glare sometimes makes it hard to catch things

21. wxcoin

Hopefully another CT member can answer that question. Like Sgt Shultz; I know nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted