1955 D gold colored penny attracted to a magnet??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bolomrk1, Feb 19, 2012.

1. bolomrk1

bolomrk1 New Member

Howdy everyone,

Hope ya'll are doing fine.

I am not a big collector of coins though I do watch my pocket change just in case.
    A couple of years ago I found a 1 dollar Silver Certificate dollar bill, and a month ago I found a 1930 Indian head nickel just before I started to drop it in a coke machine.

What I have a question about is a 1955 D wheat penny that I found. It is gold colored and will stick to a magnet. I figure the color is probably some students lab experiment but the magnetic portion is what has me puzzled.

The only penny's I have seen/heard about that are attracted to magnets are the WWII penny's that were made with steel cores.

Has anyone heard of a 1955 D penny that is gold colored and attracted to a magnet?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    LS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Pictures would help

4. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

welcome

:welcome:
    :welcome:glad you can join us:hail:

5. bolomrk1

bolomrk1 New Member

Sorry, but I do not own a camera. The coin looks just like the other 5 1955 D wheat pennys that I have but it is the only one that is attracted the magnet. Sorry I provide any visual aid.

LS

6. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Without seeing it, I'll guess it's probably 22K gold and worth about $900.00. Also, without seeing it, I'll guess it's plated and worth about 2 cents.

Glad I could help.

Welcome to Coin Talk.

(ps..... if you have a scanner, you could try that.)

GeorgeM likes this.
  8. bolomrk1

bolomrk1 New Member

Here we go

About five minutes after posting No camera a friend came over and she had her camera with her. Hope these help. Again nothing I can detect is unusual about the coin from the other 1955 D's that I have other than the attraction to a magnet
    1955DHead.jpg 1955DWheat.jpg These pictures do not show the gold color.

hope this helps.

LS

9. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

May be gold toned nickel plated

-jeffB likes this.
  10. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably gold plated over a heavy nickel base plating.

MIGuy and -jeffB like this.
  12. Corina Sallee

Corina Sallee New Member

13. Glen C.S

Glen C.S New Member

I have a 1955(D) wheat penny that is Gold. Its been through hands of many over the years and what I need to know, is the any other markings to say its gold.?.

14. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Proof or uncirculated pennies often have a golden look to them.

I'm not sure about the magnetic attraction though. Gold & nickel are both non-magnetic (especially in the minuscule amounts found with plating).

Perhaps this is an off-planchet piece? In the 50s, the US mint was producing coins for a lot of foreign countries. I can't think of any copper coated steel that was that size, but maybe someone else can?

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

How much does it weigh? If it weighs 3.1grams it can't be the size of a penny, and be gold as that would be heavier. ( 5 grams? ) It's probably just been plated here is one of mine: GP4.png

16. Davey jones

Davey jones New Member

I have a 1944S licoln wheat penny from the littleton coin company that is labled gold plated and it sticks to a magnet also, this was the year they made a few steel??

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

See my comment in post #10

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted