1955 D Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Charles Hope, May 29, 2017.

1. Charles Hope

Charles Hope New Member

Plachet weighs 2.7 grams. I understand about the 50s and acid washing coins for soda machines. Seems to me to be a real double die. I don't detect any machine doubling but lack of material not 100%. Is it a 1955 D double die? Please leave out negative comments. I really enjoy the forum Thank You. SAM_3377.JPG SAM_3447.JPG SAM_3458.JPG SAM_3459.JPG SAM_3367.JPG SAM_3375.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Leaves me speechless on the quality of the doubling. Lincoln with a mowhawk no less

Charles Hope likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Looks like a dryer coin and here's one I own .
    SingleShot0015-p.jpg SingleShot0021-p.jpg

Charles Hope likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Looks like it took a spin in a rock tumbler.

Where do you see doubling?

Charles Hope likes this.
  6. Trevor B.

Trevor B. Member

I dont see doubling. For a year that is supposed to have very pronounced doubling I feel it should be more pronounced here. Of course the coin is so degraded you would probably have to send it in to an expert to even have a chance of finding out.

Charles Hope likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes... It is not a Doubled Die

Charles Hope likes this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Charles Hope likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nice reverse on the OP. It looks like a 1. ( Is that P-1, or AG-1?)

Charles Hope likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I have to be honest with you, it looks more like a pizza pie than a "double die."

Charles Hope likes this.
  11. Charles Hope

Charles Hope New Member

12. Charles Hope

Charles Hope New Member

SAM_3538.JPG SAM_3539.JPG SAM_3544.JPG SAM_3541.JPG What about the plachet? Its underweight, it has tapered bull nose edges and it has thousands of tiny scratches that give it a fiber look. It kind of reminds me of my 1957 D. SAM_3538.JPG SAM_3539.JPG SAM_3544.JPG

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  13. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

My best guess is that your coin was stuck in the discharge water pump of a washing machine, the dirty water going by it made it flutter and vibrate which hammered the obverse, and the reverse was exposed to the water going by at a high speed which sort of sand/water blasted it smooth. Just like rocks in a river.
    Some of the metal has been removed by this action, and it is smooth on the edges.

Charles Hope likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted