1955 cent doubled die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sheila Ruley, May 3, 2016.

1. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

is the letter E doubled? Or MD? Also, is that a die crack going across GOD? image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Things heard only on a coin forum.

4. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be a die crack or a lamination. Hard to tell from those pictures. If it's raised and doesn't look like the surface is split, then it's a die crack.

As for the doubled die, well... nope. You have a teeny bit of machine doubling. If you need a loupe to see it, you don't have a 55 DDO.

eddiespin likes this.
  6. Sheila Ruley

I know that you can see it very plain in The date. I just wasn't sure about the other words. And the die crack.

7. Sheila Ruley

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's always worth remembering that there often are (or could be) varieties other than any notable ones for a date/mint, and the 55-P is no exception. Off the top of my head there is st least one lesser variety know but may be more.

I'm not so sure the coin displays strike doubling. My initial impression was that of a well placed hit, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

In the olden days, (when the BIE Guild was around), a die crack going through GOD was called a "Devil's tail."

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Paul M. and Sheila Ruley like this.
  10. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

I'm in agreement with Books on the hit of the E .
    I knew of two other DD's for the 55 Philly issue as those I have found, but when I checked Coppercoins.com I found there are at least seven including the big one for the buisness strikes of that year.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

From (my) angle of sight on this I can't commit to a hit as I also see the doubling on the back and top and the photo makes it appear to be raised, not flat & shelf like so it (may) be some minor doubling. I will commit to a die crack though. Looks later stage ( going to the rim ). I never assume there isn't something out there not yet reported. If it is not in the books, online or yet reported yet, it may be somewhere down the line once verified.

12. Sheila Ruley

That's cool to know.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's strike doubling, a die crack, and a lamination. I have to say, I think some of you guys need to get a hobby, you're looking at these coins way too close for comfort, I'm getting worried about some of you... :)

14. Sheila Ruley

Thank you! That one I really had to look for online. I finally found something similar.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

A lot going on, there, Sheila. The hard thing for some of us to really get a grip on, much less appreciate, in my opinion, is that errors of this nature are pretty typical days in the life of the manufacture of a coin. We just don't look at coins this closely to notice much of that. The thing to take away from that, in my humble opinion, is that when they're very extreme, even in the case of something as common and drab as strike-doubling, that's when they make collectors sit up and take notice. For the rest, for the majority of these, take the learning experience. In time, you'll be answering the questions, instead of asking them, all qualified on your dedication to learn. See how it works? :)

longnine009 and Sheila Ruley like this.
  16. Sheila Ruley

;)
    Yes. And thank you for that. Like I have said many times before, I know I am a slow learner, but when I get it, I am very good at what I have learned. ;)

eddiespin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted