1954-S set value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ryang74, Dec 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ryang74

ryang74 Active Member

I picked up this set last week from a local dealer. Things I noticed: nice Capitol plastic toning, and graded in sequential order- very nice add. What does the community think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great looking set.

Troodon and ryang74 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

?o_O

That's a slab used by the Third Party Grading company PCGS.. But i know what you meant.

Cool pick up.

ryang74 likes this.
  5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Given that Capital Plastics uses inert acrylic (Plexiglass is a brand name from one company), their holders don't typically cause toning. More likely it was properly stored in the mint cello.

You can't rule out this set was assembled from several original cellos.

ryang74 and ldhair like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The toning reminds me of coins that came from later mint sets with the cardboard holders. Fun coins.

ryang74 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice pickup. Welcome to CT.

ryang74 likes this.
  8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Nobody seems to have a guesstimate on value. I’ll hazard one. If you’re into them for under $50 you’re good.
    Too much ‘toning’ for me

ryang74 likes this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

The set lists at a rough total $191. These are NGC values. This is presuming the nickel is not a 5 or 6 full step, which is not indicated on the label, and the reverse pic in the first group shot is too small to tell otherwise.

The 5 full step lists at $6,250.00.

There is no price listed for the 6FS.

Depending on what he paid, nice set...Spark

ryang74 likes this.
  10. The 2020 Redbook (my bible) Lists these coins as follows:
    1954s Franklin Half MS65 (no fbl) $35.00
    1954s Washington Quarter MS66 $25.00
    1954s Roosevelt Dime MS66 $ 9.00
    1954s Jefferson Nickel MS65 $ 15.00
    1954s Lincoln Cent MS65RB $ 1.00
    Total Set Value $ 85.00

ryang74 likes this.
  11. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I would go to ebay. Search for each individual coin by grade and filter by 'sold listings'. It should be pretty easy to figure out the price range these coins are currently selling. I could do it myself, but there is that "give a man a fish, teach a man to fish" thing.

ryang74 likes this.
  12. ryang74

ryang74 Active Member

No steps at all, it’s a smooth slide down.

13. ryang74

ryang74 Active Member

14. ryang74

ryang74 Active Member

Coin collectors I often run into and dealers alike really say that the red book, blue book, grey sheet are all guides. And there is no true market place for a lot of just common date coins. People will pay what they will pay. So people are attracted to toned coins or other characteristic anomalies and will pay or not pay their hard earned money on them regardless of what any book says. Numismatic value certainly trumps intristic value here. I’ll keep the set together for as long as I can. Thank you for all the replies so far.

15. STU

STU Active Member

they are worth what some one is willing to pay for them the toning turns me off don't like them for my collection but am sure some one will

16. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Do you mind telling us how much you paid for the set. The toning looks dark. Is it the lighting?

17. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Not something any of the TPGs bother to designate on proofs (they also won't designate full bell lines on the half, or full bands on the dimes). Proofs are supposed to be well struck by default; these superlatives are something they only designate on business strikes.

They will still designate proof copper coins as RD/RB/BN but other than that only superlative they give to proofs is cameo/deep cameo.

18. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Well they're a pretty good indication of the ballpark figure you can hope to get at a coin store (the red book is what the store hopes to get, the greysheet is updated far more frequently). But yes, basically something is worth what someone is willing to pay. What toning is worth is ridiculously subjective and what one person thinks is beautiful and will pay more for another will think is ugly and pay nothing for.

But nice coins all around; definitely keepers.

STU likes this.
  19. ryang74

ryang74 Active Member

I paid $120 for the set, that was walking in and looking at them one day, and sleeping on it- then looking up some values, checking the red book, eBay, google search and talking to a few people and then deciding on the purchase. Not really an impulse buy.

thomas mozzillo and Spark1951 like this.
  20. ryang74

ryang74 Active Member

I mainly collect gold coins so venturing into this other realm of coin collecting is somewhat new to me. Spending 500-1000 on a gold coin is very familiar to me. So dropping $120 on a set is easy, so easy that I was like how many more sets do you have but at the same time I’m saying to myself hold on a bit do your due diligence.

Draft saved Draft deleted