1954 s penny error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Squallboogie, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Squallboogie

Squallboogie Junior Member

Well i found this 1954 s penny the other day while working and opening a new roll of penny's, which i always look for old coins, and noticed this 1954 s penny having a double ridge above "In God We Trust". I noticed that the later year of 1955 s penny's have had double die markings as well and im wondering if this is a similar case, here are some pictures i have taken. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

can't really see your coin good enough. Can you take better pics in better lighting?

4. Squallboogie

if you click on the thumb nail you can zoom in on the pictures.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have no idea what micheldura2's problem is with your pictures. They are way larger than they need be.

However, the coin is not worth much except maybe because it is copper. It is not similar to the 1955 doubled dies.

6. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

Sorry...just didn't realize i could zoom in....and i really can't offer any advice on this one. Not yet anyway.

7. Squallboogie

im not wondering about the price, just if its a known error or not.

8. Coinman_Ben

Coinman_Ben Member

I don't really see any errors on the coin, I even clicked on the coin and the only possible error you're talking about looks more like a reflection from the image blurring, which is common for pictures to do, so it's kinda hard to tell. Sorry, it's just too hard to tell, but personally, I don't think it's an error. Also, it's common for the rims to compress alittle the more coins are handled. I handle alot of copper pennies, both wheat and lincoln memorials, and the older the penny, the more the rims tend to compress. Most of the time, it does not compress evenly.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No, it is not an error in the usual sense. I believe it is called a wire rim or wire edge. PCGS says;

10. Squallboogie

11. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

More recently it's called a finned rim.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The problem with that is trying to find it on PCGS. Good luck!

13. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not disagreeing with you. It was just that I wanted a definition to post with it and PCGS does not recognize "finned" anything. Therefore, I used the term wire rim.

15. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

16. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I can think of two possibilities, one would be a finned rim, the other would be a collar clash. If it is a finned rim the outer side will be significantly higher than the inner side. On a collar clash the two sides will be about the same height.

18. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

If I'm not mistaken this is what I'm seeing on the '54. This is on a '41, metal squeezed out between the die and collar.
    coin 083-1.jpg

19. coinsman

coinsman Junior Member

if you click on the pic it takes you to a site with a larger image

20. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It sure does but still not large enough.

21. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

At most, the coin was struck by a slightly misaligned obverse die. There is no finning and the concept of a wire rim doesn't enter this at all.

Thanks,
    Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted