1954 Roosevelt Dime with Hitler stache

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by flyers10, Jan 22, 2015.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Found this going through a roll of 1954 dimes. About 7 total of them were in the roll. Guess that is a die chip right under Roosevelt's nose. Sorry about the poor picture but best I could do.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Looks just like him BUT are you allowed to mention the word"Hitler" without a bunch of bleeding hearts protesting in front of your house??

flyers10 likes this.
  4. flyers10

I was wondering about that but it really does look like his stache and pretty ironic being on Roosevelt.:woot:

micbraun and tommyc03 like this.
  5. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I've totally thought that he looked like Hitler for years! Been tempted to sarcastically create a huge conspiracy theory about it. They both died in 1945 and the next year they make a coin that kinda looks like Hitler.... nazis in the US!!!! ;) ;)

Travlntiques and flyers10 like this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Here ya go, hmmmmm!

[​IMG]

rooman9 and flyers10 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't look like a die chip to me. I'd like to see a much better close-up.

For all we know, a disgruntled wife caught her coin-collecting husband cheating with a woman named Eva.

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 and flyers10 like this.
  8. flyers10

Chris-
    My photo taking skills are lacking I am afraid. This all came from an original bank roll. Best way to describe it is looks like a raised metal piece right under the nose. Since I have about 7 of them would be willing to send a couple out to who wants to photograph it and post it. Yours to keep if interested. One of them the reverse is a nice end toner MS65-66 range close to full bands but not.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Interesting die chip location.

On a side note, isn't it sad how one maniacal SOB can ruin a perfectly good moustache? I bet Charlie Chaplin is rolling over in his grave.

10. flyers10

Lol. So true!

11. cpm9ball

That's very generous of you, but to be honest, I am slowly divesting myself of all my collections.

I would still like to see a good close-up, though. Perhaps someone who has good photographic skills with a microscope or a camera with a macro lens would be interested.

Chris

flyers10 likes this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm interested but I'm currently out of town till March so I wouldn't be able to do any pics till then.......

jello and flyers10 like this.
  13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I have a silver dollar with Charlie Chaplin's initials on it.

:)

flyers10 and micbraun like this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

15. flyers10

No problem Chris. I will try to get some with better photo skills to get a nice picture up.

16. flyers10

Digging my new microscope. Here is a better picture.

Attached Files:

17. cpm9ball

It looks like it may be a crack that extended from the nose down the lip, and the part of the die at the upper lip totally gave out.

Chris

flyers10 likes this.
  18. flyers10

Thanks Chris!

19. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Here are some close-ups of @flyers10 coin, various lighting angles. Reverse is very darkly toned.

1954 10C Obv Closeup 1.jpg 1954 10C Obv Closeup 2.jpg 1954 10C Obv Closeup 3.jpg 1954 10C Obv Closeup 4.jpg 1954 10C Obv Closeup 5.jpg

flyers10 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted