1954 Roosevelt Dime "JS"

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jaylee, May 4, 2012.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Copper Hopper

I have a Roosevelt Dime that has a JS next to the date where a D or P should be. I looked it up and didn't find much information. What do you think it's worth? And could you give me a little bit of information about it?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Welcome Jaylee, the JS are the initials of the designer of the obverse(front or heads side) of the Roosevelt dimes. You'll find the mint mark on the reverse if it has one. No mint mark means it was minted in Philly. D for Denver or S for San Francisco.

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

At current melt, $2.18.

JS is the initials of the designer of the Roosevelt dime, John R. Sinnock.

5. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

The information given above regarding the significance of JS is correct; however, no one has yet mentioned that if your dime had a mint mark, it would not be near the date. From 1946 through 1964, the mint mark would be at the base of the torch and to the left, on the reverse. Dimes were minted at San Francisco (S), Denver (D), and Philadelphia (No Mark) in 1954.

6. Jaylee

Jaylee Copper Hopper

Thank you everyone for your help. I did not realize that the "JS" was on many dimes. (I usually focus on pennies, nickels, and quarters--oddly enough). Had I not used my magnifying glass to look at this dime, I would have never known the JS was ever present.

Thanks again everyone! I will try to do some more research <i> before </i> assuming my coin is worth a fortune haha

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

What a novel concept!! :thumb:

8. BUncirculated

Might I recommend Whitman Publishing's Red Book: Guide to U.S. Coins, by R.S. Yeoman?

Great info, lousy price guide, but much to learn from it.

9. Jaylee

Jaylee Copper Hopper

Thank you for the suggestion! I still have much to learn.

10. BUncirculated

That's the best place to start, along with coming here. There are many you can learn from here at CT.

:welcome:

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I always bought into the Josef Stalin conspiracy theory myself...

12. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Yes because Stalin decided to spend his free time designing American coinage.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

And paint them in pretty colors with lead-based paint.

14. spinelli

spinelli New Member

its not where the "d" or "p" should be.. most dimes have that... mint marks are above the date or on the reverse just left of the bottom of the torch.I believe, not 100% sure, that the "Js" your referring to is the designer of the Roosevelt's image. Again I'm not sure but I am sure u could Google it.

15. Wesley Webb

Wesley Webb New Member

I found a quarter that has JP on his neck instead of JS and one 1984 with a weird stamp mark are they worth anything?

16. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

@Wesley Webb you are posting on a 7 year old thread. Please post your question as a new post and include full size images of your coin and if possible an in focus close up of the areas you are questioning.
    This way you will get more attention to your post and more appropriate answers.
    Welcome to CT

Draft saved Draft deleted