1954 Proof Sets

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ShinyCircles, Mar 2, 2021.

1. ShinyCircles

ShinyCircles Member

7144EC7E-57F7-4355-9A6D-6BEF30A6061C.jpeg Updated post with more pictures. I carefully took the two boxes out to show the conditions of the coins. Looking for a “set” value on these two 1954 proof sets in box with original mailing package in tact.

Attached Files:

Razz, onecenter, beaver96 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Wow... beautiful... Thanks for showing us!

Inspector43 and ShinyCircles like this.
  4. ShinyCircles

ShinyCircles Member

*continued*

Attached Files:

5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

you didn't have to do a second thread your box sets are worth around $130-$200 each but they might go for more especially if you do a ebay auction since there so nice its your choice.

GH#75 and ShinyCircles like this.
  6. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I'm super jealous of your coins! Gimmee!!! lol

GH#75 and ShinyCircles like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The box adds nothing to the value of the coins unless it was completely unopened, and it resulted in a "feeding frenzy" at auction.

Kentucky, ShinyCircles and tommyc03 like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is a very cool set. Almost all of these early mint sets have been transferred to Capitol type holders. It is very rare to find them still in the US mint cello..... I won't offer a value, as I have no idea how the original packaging may affect the value. However I will be watching intently to see as some of the more savvy members offer their opinions on value.... Very cool set.

Inspector43, GH#75 and ShinyCircles like this.
  9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Nice stuff. Here is one of mine. A 1959 Proof Set in U S Mint mailing envelope.
    IMG_6049.JPG IMG_6050.JPG

10. potty dollar 1878

Proof sets are cheap until 1955 and earlier I actually have a 1956 proof set paid $50 for it and look at it every day.

11. Inspector43

Yes, and they only cost $2.10 from the mint back then. We didn't buy many because most people couldn't justify paying $2.10 for 91 cents.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. potty dollar 1878

I believe depends on the job but people only got paid $10-$20 weekly back then.

JPD3 and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Inspector43

You are lucky that the rust from those staples hasn't migrated to the coins.

14. ShinyCircles

ShinyCircles Member

Box, board or cello?

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

CDN, for what it’s worth, pegs the price of a 1954 proof set in OGP at $108.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite sets. Last of the real affordable ones. Pre 54 they get to be "having to save up money". Especially like the OGP.

ShinyCircles and Santinidollar like this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You are lucky. You got one of the sets with the coins in cellophane which means that the coins are okay. The rusty staple is a concern. if you do take it out, spend the $5 or $6 and buy one of these holders.

1953 Proof Set O.jpg

These coins are only worth slabbing (certification in plastic holder) if both sides look like this, which called "Cameo." The and other devices are frosted while the fields have mirrors. It is unusual to see this on coins of this era, especially on both sides, which the only way to make them really valuable.

1953 Proof Set O.jpg 1961 Dime O.jpg 1961 Dime R.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted