1954-D Penny - PCGS graded MS64RD

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by StevieB, Dec 31, 2016.

1. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

I paid $1.00(plus $1.80 shipping) from a ebay buy it now listing. I am just curious how much it is worth?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The seller messed up. It was worth more than a dollar.

4. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

Do you know about how much it is worth since it is graded?

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

You can (and sometimes need to) verify the certification number here: http://www.pcgs.com/cert/

It will verify that it is an actual PCGS graded coin, and provide other info, such as the PCGS book value, which in this case is $2. Even at $2.80 I would say you made a good purchase.

You can always check book values for all coins here http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

2818 = PCGS reference #; 64 = grade assigned; after / = cert #
    IMG_20161231_182513.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    mynamespat likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Good deal! Idhair is correct, around $8.00. But some poor soul paid a lot of money to have this slabbed.

8. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

Alrighty thank you all!

Also as tommy stated, it would have cost $25 to have that penny graded correct?

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

No way to ever know for sure. It could have been sent in on a special with free return shipping or piggy backed on someone else's order. But that would be pretty close...$12.00 grading plus splitting the shipping.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Not necessarily. If it was part of a bulk submission the cost would have been much lower.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Not really. It was probably included in a roll so the gradee got bulk rate. My guess would be $7 to $9 at most.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

(And) it could have been submitted by a newbie at full price who thought he/she struck gold.;) Have to get into my time machine to go back and see if I can figure this out.

rlm's cents likes this.
  13. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

heh, ok thanks everyone ;-)

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When I was actively submitting coins to NGC, I made it a point to submit certain coins as my renewal freebies if I didn't think that they were worth grading on the usual grading tiers.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

my Redbook says 1 dollar but with the grading is probly worth around 8 bucks.

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The majority sold on eBay recently have sold for brtween $3-$6. There are a few more expensive that the bulk are in that range.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The grading by a TPG should not factor into the value of the coin. If you're selling your car, do you increase the asking price if you fill the tank?

Chris

Noah Finney likes this.
  19. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

@cpm9ball

I think grading should up a coins value, you have to pay to have them graded so it would make more sense to charge a premium on that said coin.

I am new to this, but yea...

20. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @StevieB

21. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted