1954 d cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Joe kool, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Can someone enlighten me what's going on with this cent peice?
    Kinda looks like it may have zinc in it. I got to weigh it when I get home tonight

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Zinc should have a grey look.
    What ever is on it is damage.
    You can save it. But there really is no need to put much effort into the WHY.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Solder is more likely.

5. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

I tried looking at it close and it doesn't look post. Since it worth nothing I'm gonna put a sharp blade on it to make sure

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's all copper, that's for sure. Not sure what is on the obverse but it's all damage. The coin is only worth face value but it would be a shame to make it worse than it already is.

It's our duty as collectors to protect and preserve these coins. We should not do anything that causes more damage just to satisfy our curiosity.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

That's why it would be a SHARP blade on the blob. It wouldn't be doing anything to the coin itself if its post. Am I not correct on this?

8. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Does it look like part of the penny to you? Or post? 20190718_125531.jpg 20190718_125447.jpg

9. Collecting Nut

I'd need to have that coin in hand to answer that question. Just to difficult to tell from photos.

10. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

I understand that I took another photo do you see a 5 and 7. If yes. looks like another coin may have been struck on it. Looks like theres other numbers or letters on it. I'm using a phone camera right now. But I will have a USB by next Saturday probably earlier. Already placed my order. Screenshot_20190718-135304_Gallery.jpg

11. Collecting Nut

That's caused by the damage.

12. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Ok

13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Die failure on coins from the 50's is pretty common. I believe what you have is "a piece out of the die." Metal literally broke off inside the die cavity of Lincoln's head. This shows up as raised metal on Lincoln's head. The problem is the metal has to come from the same planchette. So this is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Which means there should be diminishment on something near the raised metal and/or in areas that correspond to Lincoln's head on a reverse--the T &E in UNITED.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  14. Joe kool

Joe kool Active Member

Very good how you explained that to me. I enjoyed the read. It will probably be on Ebay anyway within the next following couple of weeks. I have so many coins with issues I cant keep up with them all. Trying to learn about this stuff in my off time is hard. This cent peice was just found yesterday. I was posting just about all coins I came across that looked like something was wrong with it. This is daily for me. I haven't even looked at my collection I stopped with 13 years ago. Which consist of all coins from 1800s till 2006. That's gonna be fun thousands to look at. What I have posted may only be worth face value. But I hope someone else sees value in them. I have been told on here I have junk. Well as we all know 1 mans junk may be another mans treasure. 2 cents is better than 1!

Draft saved Draft deleted