1953 silver cent, help please

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by djhughes, Feb 6, 2012.

1. djhughes

djhughes New Member

Sorry for the bad pic. This is the best I got. whats up with this cent?? Thanks
    405505_344439035589560_100000704008331_1158103_1141319697_n.jpg 428760_344431678923629_100000704008331_1158087_1523247624_n.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ThinnPikkins

ThinnPikkins Well-Known Member

probably was in a batch of reprocessed 43's

4. Shamrock111

Shamrock111 Member

first check if its magnetic... then check the weight 2.7g for steel and 3.1g for copper cents

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Plated. School experiment.

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Agreed...we did something like this in high school.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

In The Good Old Days, every "Fun With Chemistry" book included the "Silver Penny" experiment. You'd take a copper "penny", soak it in lemon juice or scrub it with abrasive to get the surface clean, and then rub it with mercury. The mercury amalgamates (mixes) with the copper, and the resulting alloy looks like silver.

And hardly anyone ended up with permanent brain damage. But just try and get mercury now...

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Some of us, however...

9. coinhead63

coinhead63 Not slabbed yet

It could also be that somebody working for a plating company put it in the chroming tank. Before you chrome a car bumper you must first copper plate it.

You can still get mercury if you try hard enough (old thermometers, thermostats, etc.). However, posession of a large enough amount without the proper papers is a felony. Many years ago someone was busted for dealing drugs. During the raid, the officers noticed a large ash tray with a pool of mercury in it. The dealer not only was charged with distribution but also felony posession of mercury.

10. ikandiggit

It might be a lonnnnnng list.:D

11. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

smiley-char124.gif we use to play with it in grade school

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I work with Mercury everyday...and there is nothing wrong with me. :rolling:

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, that's new. :(

It looks like this is a matter of state law. The first hit I found was for Oklahoma, where it's a felony to possess more than one pound of mercury without "valid written evidence of his title to such mercury", and with defense allowed if you're a "bona fide miner or processor of mercury" or if the mercury is "an integral part of a tool, instrument, or device used for a beneficial purpose".

http://public.esquireempire.com/Pos...Mercury-Oklahoma-Felony-Okla-Stat-tit-21-1726

Most of the stuff I've found for North Carolina pertains to dealing with mercury switches in scrapped vehicles, and getting the stuff out of schools. When, er, if I had bought a couple pounds off eBay years ago, I didn't think about new laws lacking grandfather clauses. Sigh.

It's a shame the stuff is so insidious and persistent; liquid metals are all sorts of fun, especially when they're as dense and standoffish as mercury. (Gallium-indium is liquid at room temperature, but it costs dollars a gram, it sticks to everything, it gets a nasty oxide film, and it's less dense than iron.) Might as well black out all the experiments dealing with it, along with the ones calling for carbon tetrachloride, iodine, phosphorus... :(

14. ikandiggit

Makes me want to get some mercury.:D

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've never heard of any laws pertaining to the legal possession of mercury. OK did some checking I can't find any legal restrictions on possession except in OK and NM where possession of over a pound of mercury without bill of sale is a felony. Under a pound seems to be OK. No special license appears to be needed, just the bill of sale showing where and when you bought it and from whom.

16. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I remember back in the 1950's that there were a number of keychain manufacturers that used silver or gold plated Lincoln cents encased in a bezel. This coin appears to have something going on with the rim, and looks similar to those coins. That would be my guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted