1953 proof quarter w/ wire strike thru

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kevin m, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Kevin m

Kevin m Member

20150713_141359.jpg I just picked up a 1953 proof set and found the quarter has a large wire strike through on reverse wing. I am in Fl. Right now so don't have my microscope for better pics right now. It is definitely a strike through, just wondering if there's any premium for these. Thanks

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It will also depend on what it will grade. A strikethrough may be a one-of-a-kind, but it really isn't uncommon. It depends more on how much someone is willing to pay for it.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

i would think being they only made 128,800 might help as well

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

Mintage has no bearing since a strikethrough is a one-of-a-kind.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. bryantallard

i know nothing about strike throughs and i do respect what you are saying but i am looking at it from a mathematical perspective not an error perspective. i am just speculating that with all the coins that are made there is a decent chance for these rare things to happen. look at my avatar... i got $148 for it (not bragging) NOW... lets say i had a proof set with this error and this was done on a proof in a sealed case. would that not raise the value of the coin significantly? i would think the same would apply here. a struck through on proof coin in unopened case would fetch a decent amount more. not THOUSANDS more but i would think at least enough to go out for a nice dinner. as i have no experience in such things i am only speculating.

7. cpm9ball

I understand your point, but whether it is a proof coin or an uncirculated coin makes little difference. Yes, this is a proof coin, but the strikethrough occurred on the reverse, and it is more likely that the employee assembling the proof set didn't bother to inspect the reverse before inserting the coin "face up".

My 2001-D Kennedy missing the clad layer is one of only two known to exist, and both of them came from the $100 Mixed P&D bags that were released by the Mint in 2004. If the reverse had been facing up on the assembly line, it is more likely that this coin would have been spotted by a Mint employee. I submitted mine for grading and attribution while the other was sold raw on eBay for $555.

MBP7K072848.JPG

On the other hand, the 2005-S Silver Proof KS SQ should never have gotten by Mint inspection because the die dent is on the reverse which would be facing up in the Mint case. There are about 12 of these known to exist (I had two) and when I first submitted mine at the 2006 FUN Show, it was originally attributed as a PF70 UCAM Mint Error. In 2012, it was added to the CPG as a variety, FS-901, which made it eligible for the NGC Census. It became the Top Pop with no others, and two months later, I sold it to a west coast collector for $1,000.

2005-S KS Silver SQ.JPG

2005-S KS Silver SQ NGC PF70UCAM.JPG

Chris

8. bryantallard

very nice coins. thanks for sharing. I think I saw the kennedy posted in another thread a while back. it's amazing how something as simple as a die dent on an every day coin might not get even a dollar but a proof coin who knows apparently. I will definitely be checking all my proof coins more carefully. thanks chris

9. cpm9ball

It wasn't JUST a proof. It was a PF70 UCAM - Top Pop, No Others. That makes a BIG difference!

Chris

10. cpm9ball

It's always a good idea to check them. You can't just assume that the proof coins will be perfect.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted