1953 ICG F12 nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Apr 27, 2015.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I saw this on ebay and had to have it because it is an oddity. It's a 1953 nickel with no mintmark that was graded an F12 by ICG. According to ICG's website, it's the only 1953 F12 nickel that they have ever graded. My question is why? As far as I know it is a common date Jefferson nickel. I just wonder what possessed somebody to send it in for grading. It's obvious by looking at the nickel that it is a lower grade. Maybe it was sentimental and they wanted to slab it, but why would they sell it on ebay with a buy it now price under $4? It's a mystery for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Maybe someone lost a bet.

bugo likes this.
  4. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I also have a 1924 wheat penny that was graded by ICG as a VG10. It's a fairly common date. I have no idea why this was graded either, but I'm glad they did because it's an oddball and I like weird things.

[​IMG]

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

We had an 1942 P Mercury Dime that was in an NGC F12 slab a couple months ago. I can only assume someone thought it might be an overdate and it wasn't...or maybe someone just had lots of money to burn. Or was trying to put together a grading set of Mercury Dimes.

How funny would it be if you were required to put down "This is why I am submitting each coin" ?

bugo likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

A waste of plastic

7. Weston

Weston Well-Known Member

Oops, revised. I missed the part where you said they might have though it was an overdate!

8. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

A waste of oxygen.

9. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Maybe ICG was running a special where you needed to submit X number of coins to get the deal and they were running short..... maybe?

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

ICG may have just did a bunch of these to hand out at a show without calling them a sample on the slab.

sgt23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted