1953 D Franklin Die Clash?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Razz, May 13, 2021.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I got this over the weekend and posted pictures earlier in the new acquisitions thread. I really like the burnt orange and red toning on the reverse and it looks like it might be FBL as well. So looking at the pictures I noticed something under Ben's nose. In hand you can see clash lines. I checked the Cherry Pickers Guide and they don't have great pictures but seem to be in the correct place for FS 401 or 402. Checking PCGS and it looks like 401 more than 402. Variety Vista doesn't seem to have pics for the 53 D clash.

I must be wishful thinking, but then could this be an FS 401? DSCN2808~2.JPG DSCN2809~2.JPG DSCN2819~3.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I know there is a bit of color change there as well but the lines are raised for sure. In the bottom pic you can see 2 but in hand it is 3 or 4.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

40137346.jpg Wow ! It's hard to tell for me , anyways . Here's the overlayment :

Eric the Red and Razz like this.
  5. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

I think theres a line of Franklin's nose coming from the eagle to the bell too.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What edition of the CPG do you have? I have the 5th Edition, and there is no listing for an FS-401 for the 1953 Franklin.

7. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I can definitely see a clash but It's not clear enough for me to be able to tell what it is, the orange toning is interesting but it's messing with my ability to see exactly where the clash lines are, very nice coin!

8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It was in the OCBP for a while and long enough for that color to occur.

Razz and William F like this.
  9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

It's at the beginning of the section on Franklin half dollars. It shows pictures of all the years of "bugs bunny" clashes. 53 D

Edit: I have the 5th volume 2 as well. Page 282. 20210513_073438~2.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Hadn't thought of the original board mint set toning but that is probably it!

11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I will look for that.

Edit: not seeing any clash marks on the reverse from the eagle to the bell on my coin.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks! The luster and color on the reverse really is nice.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks!

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I was thinking maybe Wexler or variety vista would have something but they don't. Checking PCGS coin pics for the FS 401 and FS 402 I am not seeing any PUPs such a clash on the reverse from the eagle to the bell from Ben's nose.

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Slightly better pictures tonight. There are no other die scratches or polishing lines around the nose other than the short ones right under the nose. Unlike on some of examples I have seen on EBay with a bunch of other lines in the general area. DSCN2839~2.JPG DSCN2838~2.JPG DSCN2844~3.JPG

17. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

If you go on Franklin lovers site they have all the pictures of the bug bunnies

Razz likes this.
  18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks Rick! Definitely not FS 401. Also unlikely to be FS 402 either. Just not strong enough clash marks for either one. Probably just die scratches.

Draft saved Draft deleted