1953 B Two dollar note - material used for printing?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Write2bfree, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Write2bfree

Write2bfree Active Member

This two dollar not felt different compared to the other 1953 B series two dollar notes and I wanted to ask what type of paper were used to print these?

This one felt very crisp like as if it was a new note compared to other notes that would feel more soft. Sorry if I have typed wrong terms, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Write2bfree

Also it feels much more heavier than a regular us note

4. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

It may have been starched, does it have a chemical smell?

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The currency paper these are printed on was manufactured by Crane. I may be wrong, but I believe these were printed on 18 subject sheets and the sheets were damp at the time of printing. Later, the BEP switched to 32 note sheets that were dry printed. I'm not sure why it feels any different then similar series 1953B US notes.

6. Write2bfree

Is there any way to check if the paper is different from what you have stated? Also, is there a website that I can look up information on the type of paper so I can compare?

7. Write2bfree

No it does not. I had three other people smell it. Also I feel like there is no silver.

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Why would there be silver ?

9. Write2bfree

Oh I thought I read somewhere that they had silver on them...I guess they were wrong.

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Exposure from circulation can do different things to paper. Wallets, envelopes, pockets, etc. can all leave their mark on paper money. My grandmother kept a 1.00 silver certificate from their honeymoon in an envelope. After she died my mother opened the envelope and the note had practically disintegrated due to its environment.

Draft saved Draft deleted