1952D Wheat Penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Murphbuzzy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Murphbuzzy

Murphbuzzy Junior Member

I was going through my horde of pennies, looking for pennies that are from the years of Double Die Error years hoping to find that lucky penny. I came across a 1952 D Lincoln Wheat. So could you tell me if this may be something of interest. The mint mark is VERY high, just about touching the numbers 9 and 5, using a 17x magnifying loop. Also, would it be wise to clean it if I where to send it in for grading and if so how would I do this without getting it back saying, " Improperly Cleaned". As I have received coins back from grading company with that description even though I have never cleaned a coin. Since I read a lot about not cleaning your coins. Thank you for your time.

P.S. not sure but it seems to be closer than dates and marks I've seen, you think.

Al Maynard
    San Francisco, CA

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

MM were punched by hand then, so it is most likely within tolerance. Take a pic through a loupe. Cleaning option/method would be determined by what needs to be cleaned and if it is possible.

4. Murphbuzzy

Murphbuzzy Junior Member

Ok thanks, I just thought that this was very close and never seen any before that close to date. I was thinking of a general cleaning for this one and or other. It's in plastic coin sleeve now. Thanks

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Al,

I wouldn't clean the coin if I were you. Unless you know what you are doing and have had considerable success cleaning coins the odds are you will damage it rather than improve it.

I know very little about Lincoln cents. Mintmarks were punched into the working dies by hand then and, like Noost said, it may be within tolerance as far as location. But it does look unusually high. We have several Lincoln collectors and experts here that can give you a much better answer than me.

6. Murphbuzzy

Murphbuzzy Junior Member

Cool thanks, appreciate your time to take a gander and opinion. It helps, I never have cleaned a coin and think not doing it. Though I have received some back from graders telling me that they had been cleaned. I would have liked them to tell me what made it look cleaned. What do we do with a coin if we found it in the dirt, send it to them in a mud pie....lol. OK thanks, oh then what about the coins that come from the sea that are incrusted, they clean them...grrr...lol.

Thanks again, small soapbox sorry. :)

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

As to the locastion of the mint mark. I too have found cents with mint marks all over the place. And yes I know that they were put there manually. Still some are really in oddball locations such as yours.
    So I went to the expert. www.coppercoins.com There I posted that question about the location of the mint mark. Chuck there answered me with it is acceptable for the mint mark to be anywhere from below the date, to the right of the shoulder and inside the border. Tilted left, right or straight up.

8. Murphbuzzy

Murphbuzzy Junior Member

Very good so mm or dates that are dd are more in favor than location of mm it seems. ok that will help me to determine the difference in mm. All of you have been great in the answers that have been posted so, thanks

AL

oh I will find another oddity to bring up...lol

9. STOUTMAN

STOUTMAN New Member

I Have A 1952D mint but the D is on the 5 is it worth anything?

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

I must make it a point to tell you that this thread is about 7-1/2 years old. You might have greater success if you start a new thread in "What's it Worth" and provide good, clear photos with your inquiry.

Good luck!

Chris

11. Stafford Brown

Stafford Brown New Member

What is a 1952 D Lincoln cent double die obverse can someone tell me

Draft saved Draft deleted