1952 D Wheat Penny Double Die Reverse

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kristina Greene, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Kristina Greene

Kristina Greene New Member

So , Im new at this, I found this in my little collection of Wheat Pennies. I have tried to search for info on known doubling errors and can find anything that year.
    It has doubling starting in the B in pluribus movong to the right and more exaggerated on the "unum". Also total shadow double on entire left of the wheat on the right and some at the top of the left of the left wheat.

I think its pretty cool!

I will most likely have it Graded.
    What do you all think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and Welcome to CoinTalk!
    Do us a favor?? Show the whole coin in full, please.
    From what I can see, it's just "machine doubling".
    MD-Graphic_2.jpg

VistaCruiser69 and Abramthegreat like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't. Not worth the expense......

Spark1951 likes this.
  6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

As a newly minted member, go here:

doubleddie.com John Wexler’s site, and read and study everything on the site.
    It will launch you lightyears ahead as a collector of coins…imo…Spark

7. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

WPS

Spark1951 and Kristina Greene like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

We ought to start encouraging this. Experience is the best teacher. We're just "nay sayers" on the internet . . . . . .

Z

9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Here is the link to the sites/sources noted above. Read the article and, at the bottom, ar 3-4 links that show and explain great examples of doublings that are NOT doubled Dies .... just manufacturing defects and some lack of QC on operating machinery.
    https://doubleddie.com/144801.html

10. Kristina Greene

So I just figured out my "dandy" microscope doesn't zoom out enough to do full pic in one screen so here are some wides from the scope and a couple from my phone.

I would like to thank you all for giving me pics, examples and links so I can continue to learn.

Kinda bummed it might only be machine doubling but still a cool find I suppose.

To.me.it does look like extra material in the really close pics but I am a novice....

Attached Files:

Dan Galbato likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s doubled but not the type of doubling you want. There are many types of doubling and all but one is worthless. It’s a nice example of worthless doubling so not worth having it graded.
    Welcome to CT.

Kristina Greene likes this.
  12. Spark1951

…I’m bad at acronyms…please explain “WPS”…TY in advance…Spark

13. justafarmer

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You need to learn about die doubling. We've a saying, learn first, look second. This doubling you're referencing is very clearly caused but the strike. It's not the die type. Die doubling is what's important because it's repeated on every coin struck by that die. Strike doubling is unimportant because it's unique to that coin and happens a lot when the coin is just a little shaky in the striking chamber. Here, generally, on the learning part: https://doubleddie.com/; and here, specifically, on what you had just stumbled on: https://doubleddie.com/144801.html. Recommend you read it, learn what you're looking for, then go to looking, again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  15. Spark1951

16. justafarmer

It was about Kristina's coin - well actually your response - just thought you would appreciate a WPS more than the typical "Like".

Spark1951 likes this.
  17. Spark1951

Well…WPS back at ya!…Spark

justafarmer likes this.
  18. Kristina Greene

I guess I'm confused. This doubling does make the letter thicker and have a "step" separation and edge differential to the letter. Do you perhaps have already detailed article with pics that explains die deterioration.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, that is what you see with Die deterioration, as the dies today usually last around a million coins, slowly flattening them out, extending the edge. You can see a step, so your specific coin had a die that was used for a long time until the die cracks or flattens so much it distorts the image. Like using a hammer 1 million blows to a copper plate or bar.

For a true doubled die , one that was struck twice by the mint while the die was being produced generally are similar heights, so the images tend to blend, such as my coins here, ( yes I have shown it many times lately :). Hope this info helps.

Jim

55dd0date-1-1.JPG

PamR and Kristina Greene like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted