1951 Proof Jefferson Nickel DDO-001 (FS-101)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by stldanceartist, Feb 26, 2017.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I've been needing a 1951 Proof Jefferson Nickel for a while. Not too many have been showing up in the area - until this weekend, when I picked up this little beauty.

The coin has light cameo contrasts on both sides (a little stronger on the reverse), so I'm a bit doubtful that it would make CAM when sent in. HOWEVER...

...a closer look at Tom's profile reveals the doubling characteristic of the DDO-001. Here is the reference page on Brian Ribar's Jefferson Nickel Varieties page.

Whole coin:

1951 Proof Jefferson Nickel.jpg

Closeup on the eyelid and nose:

1951 Proof Jefferson Nickel - Eyelid copy.jpg

Closeup on the chin (very tricky to light this, not much margin for error):

1951 Proof Jefferson Nickel - Chin copy.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

FWIW, I had the same difficulty trying to photograph the doubling on the chin of Kennedy. Have you tried rotating the coin so the light source is perpendicular to the doubling? The image below was the best that I could do.

Chris

1530495-1966SMS50cPROFILE[1].jpg
    Note: The parallel lines are marks on the slab.

Coin-Dude, SchwaVB57 and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Shooting proofs is a chore in itself , trying to get an image that bounces light back at you. Nice 51 ,sometimes it just takes a while to track down the specimen you're happy with.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

So you were just looking for the 51 PR, then after you got it you saw the DDO??? If that's the case . . . Congrats; always nice to find what you really want AND then have that find doubled . . . Kool Jinkies!!! Oh Yeah, based on just the markers I can see well on your coin, it's also a solid match to the 1951 DDO-001 PR-1-O-V-CW
    FS-101 (032.5) shown on Dr. Wiles Variety Vista site; Great Find!
    Semper Fidelis

6. stldanceartist

Yep, the doubling was very difficult to see in the old PVC flip in which it was stored. Only after I got it home and got ready to image it (and thought, "I should probably check for varieties) that I sat the doubling.

Looks like all I'm missing for my Jefferson Proofs are the 1942 Type 2 (the silver one) and the 1955...which, frankly, I'm surprised that I don't already own, given the number of 1955 proof sets I've gone through. I was very surprised also with the number of 1942 Type 1 proofs that I own...until I remembered getting into a groove about 10-15 years ago finding the WDDR-003 with the die gouge on Jefferson's lapel (that's my too lazy to look it up description.)

And then I also remembered how many of the 1994 P and 1997 P Matte Proofs I own...and I very happily put them all back in my hiding spot (probably about 30 of the 1994 and about 20 of the 1997.)

7. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Very nice addition! Makes me want to open my unopened 51 proof set.

8. stldanceartist

I would not be able to contain myself. That thing would have been opened in the car.

9. SchwaVB57

I bought it in 1970. I have all the box proof 1950 never opened.

10. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

You threw me with the "gouge on Jefferson's lapel" because I couldn't remember that marker, and couldn't find it no matter how hard I looked. Until I came across a post of yours from Oct of 2013, and then I said, "AHA!, the gouge on the collar toward the rear . . . " and then it all became clear. Again, great find . . . I'm tempted to look at mine, but they're all in OGP US Mint Proof Sets and I just don't think I'd have the heart to break it up if I found one:(:(:( Oh Well:):):) Semper Fidelis

stldanceartist likes this.
  11. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

You have a 1950 in the box??? Question, when you say "never opened", do you mean the individual cellophane packets have never been "opened", or are you saying that there is no evidence that the little cardboard box has never been "opened"? Not prying mind you, just excited like on Christmas Morning.

A number of years back when I decided to start collecting again (like not since I was knee high to a grasshopper), something that caught my eye were US Mint & Proof Sets, and since my plan has always been to put my entire collection into trust for may youngest granddaughter, I decided to do it the best I could; only sets in OGP and whenever I could find them (and for the years where it occurred), sets were there was no evidence that the envelope or box containing the coins had ever been unsealed, AND the Ultimate . . . sets in the unopened mailer (just like the post office would deliver). Long story short, I have obtained all of the "modern" era mint/proof sets (1947 to date, including the 1982 and 1983 Souvenir Sets, for the former and 1950 to date for the Proof Sets). All are OGP (no "Capital Holder" transfers); many (mostly starting in the late 70's early 80's) are sealed in their envelopes/boxes (again where there are records that the Mint actually "sealed" such for any particular year), and a fair number (mostly mid 90's and up) just as they had been delivered by the USPS. The oldest I have of that type is the 1964 Mint Set. The oldest in the envelope/box is a 57 Mint Set (though there is some debate whether not the US Mint sealed the envelopes for that year, AND the oldest of all with no signs of entry is the 54 Proof Set Box.

Sorry to have been so long (and probably shouldn't have posted it this thread), but after all my looking, I just thought I'd never hear of an earlier year Mint/Proof set, but when I saw your post, and if the box is not opened . . . You Have Given New HOPE that I may one day be able to yet find earlier date "unsealed" Sets. Well I just got over-excited and wrote to much; Sorry, but Kool Jinkies!!!

Semper Fidelis

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

something to keep in mind is that these sets should be opened as the staple used to hold the pliofilm bags together that hold the coins will tone the coins an ugly black color.

Blissskr and Fallguy like this.
  13. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Yike! Sounds like I'm between a rock and the hard place, BUT thanks for the reminder. Come to think of it, I do have some early ones that are open and you are right, because the coins in it are pretty ugly (blackish residue). Semper Fidelis

14. SchwaVB57

I typed 1950, but I have a 51, 54, 55, all boxed OGP proof sets my dad bought directly from the mint with the postage on the box. I also have 1957-2016 in unopened OGP packaging including outside envelopes either bought by my dad or myself the last 60 years. Why no 50, 52, 53, and 54, dad claimed he did not have the budget, since he got married and started a family.

Fallguy likes this.
  15. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

I don't just "Like" it, I "Love" your post! To be able to spend, and share the time it takes to put together a collection like that is priceless. My kids had already fledged by the time I was able to start collecting again, as were my 3 oldest granddaughters, and my wife thinks I'm OCD. My 13 year old granddaughter showed some interest, but then puberty struck. So its up to my 8 year old to carry-on "Pops" interest, and she has done an admirable job of sticking with it over the last 3 years or so. I may not make it to her 18th birthday (or 21rst depending on where she is educationally) or if I do I sure hope I'm not belted to a wheelchair and drooling all over the place, but it's nice to know that someone I've shared these moments with, will at least know what it was really all about. Even if she eventually has to liquidate the collection to pay for her education, she will at least have a fools clue as to the way to go about getting the best value for our efforts.

Well I do go on don't I, but sharing really is what its all about. As she is wont to say, "Sharing is caring", and my friends, it just doesn't get any better than that. Semper Fidelis, John

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  16. SchwaVB57

My 6 year old grand daughter has already started getting the spirit. She loves looking at old Indian and Lincoln cents. She knows the mint marks and the difference between red and brown on grading. My dad left me a nice collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted