1950 wheat penny steel?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Muk, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Muk

Muk New Member

image.jpg image.jpg Hi. My first post so I am open to constructive corrections. I am an amateur and found this 1950 wheat penny that is copper and Steel? Any ideas what I have? Please see the back part. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

Why do you think it has steel in it?
    Easy way to test is to use a magnet. If there really is any steel in the cent it will be attracted to the magnet. Normal copper cents are not attracted to the magnet.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Nice piece of 68 year old history there..... It is a copper cent. No steel in that one. It has been stained with something over the course of its life. Impossible to say what caused the staining or etching.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Unfortunately you appear to have nothing but a perfectly average cent that's both had a hard life and has likely been cleaned.

Welcome to the forum.

6. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

By the way, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting pictures of the item you have a question about!

7. JHemgen

JHemgen New Member

I went through a relatives' coin collection and came across a 1950 steel wheat penny. Have not found any reference to this type of coin in books or online. Any insight? BTW, I performed magnet test and it sticks.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Does it "stick" or does it JUMP to the magnet?

9. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk! You posted on an old thread. It would be a good idea to start your own thread and show us some photos of the coin. Photos work wonders to be able to give advice and a new thread will get you the attention you need!

Draft saved Draft deleted