1950 S penny mint mark question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Juggalo, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

I have a 1950 S penny and when I look at what the mint mark is supposed to look like it definitely seems off to me. It not only seems thicker to me but also looks like the it might be upside down. Let me know what you think. I can't find the screen shot of the example i was comparing it to when I tried to upload it not sure why I can find it on my phone. Sorry bout that.
    "Trying to learn something new every day"

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It does not look like a RPM to me. Draw or photocopy 2 images of the "S" for that year(s) from a reference book, color them different colors, cut them out, and then play overlying them and you will see what must be present for it to be a RPM and not some possible damage to the punch they used to put it into the die to form the mint mark.

Many only look at one edge or other forgetting there should be a visible difference on the opposite side also, except for a few that might have come from a tilted or restrained blow, and those are well known and worth money.

Jim

Inspector43 and Mike185 like this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I did not think the OP was asking about an RPM.
    Mintmark Style-004 (Trumpet Tail Serifs) used from 1941-1942 and again in 1945-1952.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

I don’t think the op know what he was asking either. My first thought was a rpm.. like I said I “maybe wrong”.
    But I check your link vary interesting!! I haven’t check that site out at all. New information for me to learn. I really didn’t know there is “types” of MM’s just standard and rpms.
    I wasn’t trying to step on your toes @alurid I want to learn my friend!!

btw... I’m going to be up for awhile checking out that site! I have seen it on CT before!

Inspector43 and alurid like this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I did not think you were. And I do too.
    The MM on the OP's coin is normal for the year.
    And the lead in question is a bit confusing.

Inspector43 and Mike185 like this.
  9. Juggalo

Juggalo Active Member

The information everyone has given me is a great help and will definitely be put to good use in the future. That style MM does look like it an upside down S which through me but I did think it might be a RPM because of the extra inside the S. I checked out Wexler's and found a 2 or 3 possibilities but the markers didn't match exactly like the number of die scratches or their exact placement. Here a a couple of better pictures you can better see the extra I'm referring to. Thanks again everyone.
    "Learning something new every day'

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted