1950 roosevelt dime on wheat penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Phil Ham, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I purchased my brother-in-laws coin collection a few months ago. The collection included a 1950 dime on a wheat penny. The edge is half reeded like a dime and half smooth like a cent. The wheat reverse is off-set by about 90 degrees. I assumed that the coin was a fake made by someone with too much time on their hands. Please take a look at the photo and give me your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Magician's coin.

4. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I gave him a buck for it based on the silver value of half a silver rosie. What does a magician do with it?

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Yup.

Tricks that involve supposedly changing a dime to a cent, or vice versa.

Examine the "third side" closely.

There are two basic methods for creating magician's coins. One is to machine out one side of one of the coins, leaving only a thin rim, and inserting the other coin in that space after machining it to half-thickness. Those coins "clank" instead of "ring" when dropped on a hard surface, and have the original edge of the "host", with a faintly discernible line just inside the edge on one side.

The other method involves machining both coins to half-thickness and then gluing them together. The edge has a faintly discernible line in the middle. From your description of a half-smooth, half-reeded edge, I'm ready to wager that this is the type of coin you have. Those coins may "clank" or "ring", depending on the specific coin combination. In your case I would expect a "clank".

6. Lon Chaney

I believe the most common trick is probably something like hiding a cent under a cup, saying hocus pocus, and turning it into a dime. I could be wrong though.

7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It seems quite lame after watching some of Chris Angel's stuff. I wonder if he is really doing the tricks or it is just Hollywood mumbo jumbo.

8. Lon Chaney

Some of the crap on his show is likely staged. But I imagine his stage shows are probably legitimate illusions. There really isn't anything worth faking, I'd say, as the tricks are impressive enough. However, I've never seen Chris Angel perform. I did see David Copperfield a few years ago, and it was a neat show.

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

David Copperfield is a great magician and seems to put on a good show. I need to add "watching him perform" to my bucket list.

10. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

Oh no... not another penny on a dime :)

11. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

It might be a magician's coin, but that's one real sweet piece of exo.

Draft saved Draft deleted