1950 Proof Set

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by RonSanderson, Apr 8, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm not competent to decide if these are actually Proofs or not, but keep in mind this isn't original Mint packaging. These coins are in a Capital Plastics holder, placed there deliberately by someone down the road. That frequently happened in this era, as the Mint did not ship them in a "presentation" packaging. So there's room for slight doubt, at least.

JMS Coins has these in original Mint packaging for $625, and in Capital holders for $575.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

All are proof...most 1950 proofs are grainy looking. These are well above average for the date! You can,t grade them in the plastic, but generally these have hairlines and were probably dipped. I would guess that between $400-800 is average price for these. This is a nice looking set for the toughest date. If they were graded, and hairlines were few, the value could increase several times!

RonSanderson likes this.
  4. Del Ihle

Del Ihle Member

YAY!!! What a wonderful gift from Mom! Yes, they are proofs and look wonderful. Their value: Priceless being from your mother. Your birthday was also her birthday - the day she brought you into the world. The 1950 proof set is very special for both of you. Welcome to our site!

5. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I think I lucked out and these do not appear to be dipped. The obverse of the Franklin shows mild tarnish (it's black, so I'm not going to call it toning!) on the top rim above the R, and on the bottom rim under WE and RU. The quarter also shows some at the top between L and I, and B and E. The nickel has two glue spots on the obverse around 7 to 8 o'clock position. I would think they would be cleaner if they were dipped any time recently. The dealer feels the cent is cameo, but it is too shiny for me to photograph with my skill level. (Apparently the earlier 1950 Lincoln proofs are more matte.)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  6. RonSanderson

I have mixed feelings about grading this set. If one of the TPG's could replicate the 5-coin capsule so they stay together, I would, because I do think they deserve that level of respect. If they end up in 5 individual cases, then the integrity of the set is lost. The coins could end up scattered in all directions. Who am I to break up something this nice that has been together this long?

SuperDave likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The "homemade" proof sets -- in slabs -- are fairly common on EBay. No telling, though, if they came from the original package or were assembled from hither and yon. They often have widely varying grades.

8. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Each coin is definitely proof. I bought a 1950 and 1951 proof set online last year from a credible supplier and that is how many proof coins from that era look. I paid $510 for my 1950 proof set and $525 for my 1951. Both sets look great.

RonSanderson and Santinidollar like this.
  9. RonSanderson

I now have an overall shot of the reverse set. The cent is not well lit. It is a shiny coppery red with a zone of ruby toning over the vertical axis of the coin. The image is a little warped due to the closeness of the camera.

Thanks for looking, everyone. I appreciate your comments.

Set 1950 reverse.jpg

Stevearino, McBlzr and onecenter like this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Still look like proofs to me.

RonSanderson likes this.
  11. onecenter

onecenter Member

Mighty purty!

RonSanderson likes this.
  12. RonSanderson

Were the sets graded when you got them? Did you have them graded?

13. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

They came in the same type of hard plastic holder as the one you imaged here, but I made my own custom card board cut outs and put them into other hard plastic frames holding between 1 and 5 proof sets from 1950-2009.

RonSanderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted