1950 proof set dilema

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The_Cave_Troll, Aug 15, 2006.

?

Would you open it?

1. absolutely!

39 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. maybe

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. never!

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. other/don't care

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Back in the early sixties (and possibly later) collecting unopened sets was very popular, until someone opened a set and found a box of washers had replaced the coins.
    Since then it has been a nice thought, but I would never buy an unopened box.
    Also, it is popular to see sets from the sixties that are 'sealed'.
    I wonder how this could have happened, since I believe that the mint mailed the sets in larger envelopes and the proof sets inside were not sealed. look at an old proof set (from the early sixties) and you won't see glue on the envelope.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

thats a hard call. i have some mint and proof sets from the 50's and 60's that at still unopened that i have had m self for a few years. I sometimes think about them. but then i think. erg. If i do the im lossing a chance to sell them in the future for big big bucks. lol Its a very hard call. But like i child with a new toy. Ou want to open it baddly. I think the best thing to do is put it in your safe or what ever you store your coins in and leave it for a while. maybe sit back have a stiff drink or what ever you choice and try to think why did you really buy it, To open it? Or did you buy it to have it? what ever you do with it. GOOD LUCK and dont get mad at your self for making my un opend sets worth even more.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted