1950 proof set dilema

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The_Cave_Troll, Aug 15, 2006.

?

Would you open it?

1. absolutely!

39 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. maybe

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. never!

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. other/don't care

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

Can I ask which store? I'd like to find a new one ;)

Oh wait, "upcoming auction"... is it the Niles Coin Shop?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Fox Valley Coins. This was at the Naperville store (I88 and IL-59), but I prefer the Aurora store (US-34 and Montgomery Rd.).

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

In case anyone is interested or has never seen this original govt.packaging,I have two sets to show you.The 1955 set still had the original cellophane on each coin,so I preserved it but put the coin and cello into flips.You can see the empty pack next to the open Frankie.The 1954 had already been put in mylar when I bought it.Even the tissue paper is original.
    As I was setting up this shot,the '55 Franklin fell out of it's cases and onto my rug..yikes!So I took the opportunity to photograph it for our buddy Speedy.It's pretty nice.:thumb:

Attached Files:

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Nice Half Dollar!!!!--thanks for sharing!...I had a 1955 Box Proof set but sold it at the show I went too---it was in the original packing but almost all of the coins had a dark toning--so I decided it was time to let it go!

Here is a photo of a Proof Franklin that is every collectors dream!.... :cool:

Speedy

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Speedy,
    Is it a real misstrike?? I've never heard of that one before.I have a '44 proof walker half but unfortunately it isn't cameo.

7. Speedy

Hey Mikjo
    No that isn't real!....I used Photoshop to do it!....sometimes when I have too much time to spend I do such things to coins so I can see what it might have looked like.
    Someday maybe I'll post a thread of all of the ones I've done!!!

Speedy

8. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Good job there buddy! Fooled me.

Attached Files:

9. Speedy

Hey Mikjo
    Nice coin!!!....I saw a few PF WL Halves at a coin show last year and they were really nice but also wayyyyy out priced for me....they were graded by NGC things like PF67--

Here are some others that I did ;)

Speedy

10. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Ha...gotcha!..there's no such thing as a '44 proof walker.Sorry,I couldn't resist.It's actually a whizzed coin I picked up a few years ago for almost nothing.Purty though!;)
    Your photoshopping skills are amazing!

11. Speedy

Holy cow!!!....I was totaly fooled---
    Since I knew that there were proof WL Halves made (just didn't know what years ;) ) I looked at it and thought it was one....I bet you could fool alot of people with that!!

Speedy

12. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

That is ridiculous, just because an Idiot on ebay will pay more for it unopened doesn't mean that its worth more. They coins could be all jacked up!!

13. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey i brake for peace dollars

i'm thinking of buying two sets of whatever i get from the mint...one so i could open it up and take a peek and leave the one alone and bury it so noone can molest it drool on it finger it or be tempted to open it.

i wouldnt blame anyone for not wanting to sell it to someone who would open it. there's plenty of open sets out there, go raid those IMO.

what is it? do you think if you dont open it there wont be any coins in it? if a tree falls and noone is there it still makes a noise. along with that "mint packaging" there are coins inside, even if you cant see them, they're there.

i understand wanting to open one but with one that old...i wouldnt think of it.

14. Dot

Dot New Member

I don't understand the question.

Today I got a package from the Mint, it contained a couple boxes with some Kennedy half rolls, and a 2005 Silver Proof set. But the proof set was not in a separate box like the Kennedy rolls were, it was just loose in the larger box. Is this normal?

I also got some proof sets I had gotten on ebay -- this was my first time buying proofs from ebay, and I was very pleased -- but then, clearly I don't know what I'm diong or what I'm looking for, lol. But it was four sets of silver quarter proofs for $40, I figured how can that be bad? All the coins look fine to me.

I might order something with the intention of not opening it, but that doesn't last long, I can't stand the suspense. At least with coins, they have intrinsic value (unlike with trading cards, etc).

15. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Did you guys ever hear about buying old wine in original corked bottles, for hundreds or even thousands of dollars?

Any experienced wine collector will warn you that if you do that, under no circumstances open the bottle.[​IMG] There is too big a chance that all you bought was vinegar in an old wine bottle. :eek:

16. Speedy

When normal proof sets come they come with a hard case with the 5 State Quarters in it...ALONG with another hard case just like the one before with the Dollar/Half Dollar/dime/nickel/cent....then both of those are in a small cardboard box that opends on one end and it has an eagle on the front along with what year it is and such.
    If you are missing that it is really no big deal...at least you have the coins!
    Since you said that you only got the Silver Quarter part of the proof sets then the box wouldn't come either IMHO--the guy selling them more than likley bought some proof sets and broke them open for the better coin and then sold what was left....being the SQ part of the proof sets....
    As for being a good deal at $40---that depeneds on the dates.

Speedy

17. The_Cave_Troll

and on whether the silver coins were replaced with clad coins and then the set resealed.

18. Old Silver

Old Silver New Member

Avoid any dilemna and just buy an opened set. It'll save you money and a few gray hairs.:)

19. Dot

Dot New Member

LOL, that is exactly what I had been concerned about and why I had asked in another thread about detecting opened cases. These don't look to have been tampered with, at least to the naked untrained eye.

Even so, for whatever reason, the proof clad state quarters from the mint seem to be holding their own, especially for the past couple of years dates (2005-6).

The dates I got were 2000, 2004, 2005 and 2006. I just recently decided I wanted all the silver proof state quarters, so this was an excellent way to start. Even though I had already ordered 2005 from the Mint and it arrived the same day -- nice to do a side-by-side comparison when I got them both. These were all in their red or blue boxes with the COA, btw.

The box from the Mint was the correct packaging, with COA, it's just that it was not housed in a little white sealed box like the rolls were -- I don't know if they ever are. So, that brings up another question: the only way to keep a "sealed, original" box from the Mint, is to not even open the outer package, and thus must order sets individually so that only one arrives per box? What if the Mint makes a mistake and sends the wrong item?

That'd be funny if those old sealed packages from the 50s contained the wrong item! In fact, I'd think it'd be risky for the seller to sell such an item, because what if the customer returns later and says they opened it and the wrong item was inside? The shop owner would have no way of knowing if that was true or not.

I wonder how many ebay scammers go down that road, selling "sealed" packages that contain the wrong item? They can claim they had no idea, and bank on some percentage of buyers never even opening the package to see!

Hmmm..... this is risky business isn't it?

20. Speedy

Easy way to tell----take a piece of white tissue-paper and put over the set---turn on a light on the set....if the coins show through at a bright WHITE then they are silver....if they are dull then clad.

Speedy

21. The_Cave_Troll

yes, but what percentage of eBay buyers of statehood quarter proof sets know that trick? I'll bet it's few enough that a seller could make a decent amount of money before anyone caught on.

Draft saved Draft deleted