1950 Jefferson PR69

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike185, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Picked up some coins to day! Really excited about two of them.

I got a 1950p pr69 full steps. Only 51,386 minted!

I will post a better picture when I get home tonight, out of the 2x2. So I can put it in a air holder

But what do you guys think? 72B6444A-D6C9-429F-A03C-1885AEB912C8.jpeg 2CB0361A-864B-4439-BE10-6794701F845C.jpeg D4BEC6D8-17A7-4CFB-9F73-8427C9797B41.jpeg 4CA756AF-623B-44D7-BDA9-D12626A24681.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I think it's super cool to pick up an early proof Jefferson...as that's one of the series I collect...but if it's in a 2x2, it's not a PR69 Full Steps (and a proof is generally assumed to have full steps, so they don't get that designation on slabs.)

Nice pickup, though :)

Mike185 likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Even so, I've seen a lot of pretty rough looking 1950 proof nickels. This one is nice. The reverse is kind of "cameo-y".

Mike185 likes this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It’s very nice for a 50, that seems to be a pretty bland year for Jefferson proofs. PR-69 it is not, hard to say really, but just the small spotting on the obverse would likely bring it down to a PR-67. If still love to have it in my set, it’s far prettier than my example.

Mike185 and Kasia like this.
  6. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Nice shape for a '50 proof! I concur. Were you at a coin show today?

Mike185 likes this.
  7. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

You have picked up one of my favorite coins. Mine is part of a 1950 proof set in a Capital Plastics holder, and has picked up a nice warm color over the years. I hope you like yours as much. (Not graded, but estimated at PF66-67.)

Notice that even on these proofs, which they had not made for eight years, you can see a tiny bit of roughness on the jaw and jacket where the nickel did not completely fill the die. This does not generally affect the grade and I have seen 1950 proof Franklins that look the same and have graded very high!

Yes, these have full steps. The steps at either end of Monticello are also clearly lined. All the windows are clearly outlined, and the surface of the walls of the building have a slightly rippled texture. The coin is overlaid with a light orange toning, especially over the face, which give it a warmth and light golden overtone.

Edit: I don't know if it makes the coin more desirable or less for most people, but I also love the little spots of glue from the original packaging over the N of IN and the D in GOD. You know it's never been touched.

05c 1950 PF #01 full 01.gif

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I would take photos with it out of the flip while doing so I would check for any hairlines on the coin and make sure it is what the dealer sold it as.
    But it looks like a Beautiful nickel.

Mike185 likes this.
  9. Mike185

Like I said I’m So excited!! I’ll be home in an hour or sooner. I had a couple different ones picked out and seen the guy and had to have it.

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

To say that a proof coin has full steps is redundant - all proof coins are assumed to have a full strike, and thus we don't use the FS for proof coins.

As for your grade..... I think its a bit optimistic. Your coin looks nice, but I think 66 or 67 might be more realistic.

Oh, no, not at all - bits of glue make it considerably less desirable for almost all collectors. This is a significant negative. That means its got some junk attached to it which shouldn't be there, and absolutely should be removed. If you don't remove it now, it's going to leave spots and ruin the coin. Acetone will easily remove this foreign material, but it really should be removed.

Mike185 likes this.
  11. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

LOL - I see the wisdom of your advice, but if the damage isn’t done after 68 years I can’t see any rush now. I’d be afraid of leaving two untoned spots after any fix of mine. If I ever have it graded I ‘ll see about professional conservation first.

Mike185 likes this.
  12. Mike185

Sorry coin show! There was one in hot spring last weekend but I was able to make it. But I also what to say that I been studying v-ms grading and not proofs at all! So the fs come from me evening excited!! I differently still have a lot of learning to do!!! That’s why I’m here, for you guys!!

Here’s some better pic.
    8C18A48C-0F67-4A87-B75A-67D06BE2C241.jpeg 19C3558F-1BD0-4E06-A9C4-9443F2E2B873.jpeg

dlhill132, Brad T and Bambam8778 like this.
  13. Brad T

Brad T New Member

That is a beautiful coin! I can see why you are so excited :). I would be as well.

Mike185 likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Are you using a translator to translate a foreign language, or are you using a voice-to-text app? This post was really, really hard to read.

As for the coin, now that I see these pictures I think the grade may be lower than I initially posted. The reason is the strike weakness, which you see as planchet roughness on Jefferson's cheekbone and jawbone. This roughness is forgiven somewhat on business strike coins, but it really hurts the grade on a proof coin.

I'm curious to hear what @Lehigh96 has to say about the subject. We've discussed planchet roughness (also known as high point pitting) at length on business strike coins - but I'm really curious to hear what your experience and thoughts are on proof coins.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Proof coins are disqualified from full steps designation.
    Nice coin though.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice proof!

Mike185 likes this.
  17. Mike185

No I’m not translating. Sorry but I type a little to fast sometime and don’t proof read and the autocorrect kicks in and change words sometime. I’ll slow it down and proof read!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

67 on a good day...not enough luster for a 68 though.

Mike185 likes this.
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, it's still a very nice coin. Congrats.

Mike185 likes this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Don't think a 67 is a bad grade for a 1950...69 is tops and there are darn few of those!

Draft saved Draft deleted