1950-d Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by tibor, Sep 10, 2019.

1. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I used to CRH quite a bit back in the 1972-1983 time frame.
    Searched lots of nickels. Enough to build several 1938- 1959
    roll sets. Well except for the 1950-d. Has anybody here ever
    found a 1950-d while searching? Tons of 1938-39 D and S pieces,
    but not the first 50-d. A couple of thousand war nickels, but
    not one 50-d. In fact, I don't anyone who found one. Was/is
    your luck better than mine?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1950D's in unc are far more common that circs.
    They were saved by the bag at the time as a low mintage

chascat and Stevearino like this.
  4. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Ive found 3 so far. Not an easy one to find. I think a couple made their way into circulation over the last few years as people died and the families dumped rolls.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've searched around $50k in nickels and have found neither the 50d or 39d. I gave up.

6. Ruben

Ruben Member

I found 1 in a roll last year ....plus a '38 s 2 weeks ago. These low mintage coins tend to be xf-au, so probably were in a collection for some time, then released into the wild.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I never found a 50-D in change.

8. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have both, and both are F to EF. The only nickel rolls I've searched were to find far more recent years that have eluded me. I'm STILL on the lookout for a 2019D, of all things. Maybe one will show up next year...

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

I found a 50-D in change in the early 70's. None before and none since.

NOS likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Years ago I was handed one in change at a store. When they first came out they were saved by the bag full do uncs are common.

11. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here's my story about the 1950-D nickel. The year was 1964, I was in high school both figuratively and literally at the time this story took place. A friend and classmate, who had an after school newspaper delivery route, often would let me search his coins/change he received from collecting every week for delivery of the newspaper. I never really found much, but I always had hope I would. That day before the start of school we were in homeroom together. He had owed me 15 or 20 cents I had lent him a couple of days prior, probably to buy something extra at lunch. So, I said to him, "Hey Dennis, are you going to pay me back that money?" He said he was and walked over to me and handed me the money he owed me. Naturally, I had the habit of always checking the dates of coins that came in my possession, and lo and behold, one of the coins he handed me was a 1950-D nickel. I went crazy. The value of a 50-D 'in the day' was approximately $3.50.

David Hill, NOS and LA_Geezer like this.
  12. I found one in two years at two rolls a week , my Jefferson nickel album was completed with all found . the fun was I found one V nickel and a hand full of no date or near no date Buffalo nickels . Keep looking

13. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I know they're worth about $14 retail in MS condition, but I have no idea what the street value of one is from circulation. I would imagine that they're still worth $3-$5.

14. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Found one CRH in the last five years. Circulated condition .

15. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I found at least 2. Both are MS specimens one of which has the circumferential marks of a counter/sorter/roller. I suspect that both came from liberated sets of someone who passed and a family member dumped it for face value. I may have also found a circulated find at some point after. In thinking about it, it was a neck race with the 39D for a while. But I’ve found more of those since.

Draft saved Draft deleted