1950-D Nickel Pocketchange Find

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by brokrken, Jun 29, 2020.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Very rare to find a circulated 50-D...most are BU.

brokrken likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Nice find

Inspector43 and brokrken like this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I found one in a bank coin roll last year it was a great "WOW" find...

Kentucky and Inspector43 like this.
  5. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

So profiteers are going to make artificially circulated nickels to upgrade the selling price? :rolleyes:

brokrken likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I had that same thought for a fleeting moment, but nah, higher grades are priced higher.

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Ditto. That's like...um... a million dog years!

8. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

When I was in my first year of high school (1972) I broke down and paid $10.00 for an Unc. It was the last coin I needed for the set. It took me a while to save up for it. I'm not sure but, I think that's about what I would pay for one today. They were trapped in the roll craze that went on in the 50's to early 60's. I bet there are a ton mint states rolls of those nickels still out there as well as other dates from that time frame. A circulated 50-D was never seen back then. I suspect the one found in change was spent by some family member of a collector that had rolls of them.

brokrken and chascat like this.
  9. chascat

I paid $14 for mine in about 2005...I had it graded a few years later and it came back a MS65FS by ANACS. I guess it's worth $30 or so now so it's a break even deal. I remember in the early 60s it went for about the same. There are a million of these left to place with collectors in high grade...the price will never go up. The moral of this story is to never judge a coin by it's mintage figures without doing research first. Today, the 50-D is one of the most common issues in high grade, and one of the most inexpensive to obtain.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. brokrken

brokrken Active Member

i beg to differ. I think the moral of the story is to keep searching your pocket change; you may find something rare and cool. It’s clear this is a very rare circulated coin and I’m lucky and happy to have found it. And I’d rather have this one than an MS 65 FS that I bought, although still a very nice coin.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Bully for you! I broke down and bought one about 10 years ago after searching my change for 40 years for the damn thing.

chascat and brokrken like this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Thank you for the offer, but the interest is in seeing how long it takes them to show up in my change. 17 years and none have shown up yet.

But $30 in 1960 had the purchasing power of $128 today. $14 in 2005, is $21 today.

brokrken likes this.
  13. chascat

Yep!

14. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Here is one I found in change, probably in the early 50's. It is from an very worn die. And, it appears that it is the only one I have. However in the last 70 years I may have found others and traded them. I really don't remember.
    200701120158048.jpg 200701120214337.jpg

brokrken likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted