1950-D Franklin Beauty

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I like this coin a lot! It's at least 1-2 grades low. That mark by the date is what held it back. What a shame it's there. Look at those bells lines, just terrific! They go all the way to the crack except for the bottom one.

It's a 1950-D PCGS MS-64 FBL. You've gotta love a coin like this. The majority of the marks are on the slab.
    IMG_4164.JPG IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4165.JPG IMG_4166.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Nice one. Have any toned Franklin's? ;)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I believe that one should be your second submission to CAC. That is flawless.

5. Collecting Nut

Not that I can recall but I do look for them. I need about 8 to complete a high grade set. All like this coin of course.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

It's really nice, just that mark under the date. That's a real shame but I still love this coin.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

This is what annoys me...a Morgan Dollar that clean would be MS66+.
    Why the different standards?

8. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

That is a great piece! Just look at those lines and good "Pass and Stow" too! Good luck on the last 8...which ones if I may ask?

9. Collecting Nut

I hear you screaming as so feel the same way. At times I find it maddening.

yakpoo likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

I know, it's a great strike. All the coins I need must be PCGS, MS-64 or higher and it must be an FBL. They are:
    1949-S
    1951-S
    1953-S
    1958 and a
    Kinda tough to very tough in the grade and condition I want.

11. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

12. Collecting Nut

13. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a 1948 uncirculated for close to red book price. Not having any luck. Prices seem to have really climbed since that last red book!

14. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Teach me please..!
    I have a 57 and 58 proof set. Can a proof Franklin or any coin from these sets be PCGS graded? I'm still confused about Mint sets vs Proof sets also..

Also what would you estimate this 63's grade.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  15. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Mint sets are uncirculated versions of the same coins that are minted to be circulated. Proof coins have never been meant to be circulated and they are made differently and does NOT indicate condition.

"The term “Proof” refers to the method of manufacture and not the condition of the coin"
    https://www.usgoldbureau.com/mint-state-or-proofs

I don't know of any reason to have a proof set coin graded. Why would you want to? They are already authenticated by being in a proof set.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  16. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Iv'e I have seen mint sets that have been packaged in plastic from the mints and not go into circulation and go for more money than proof sets.

17. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

The mint sets don't go into circulation but the coins that make them up are the same as circulating coins. Proofs are not.

18. Collecting Nut

Proof coins are considered a method of manufacture. Special dies are used to get the look along with polishing and packaging. Coins from a Mint set are different. They have cheaper packaging, are not polished and the dies are the same as for circulation.

Special care is given to proofs. With Nickels they cannot receive a FS or full step designation. Dimes cannot be labeled as FT or full torch and Franklin Halves cannot receive the FBL status. In the minting of proofs these coins just about all have those features.

Not do for Mint sets and circulation coins. Only the first coins to be minted may meet the criteria for doing so. For a FBL Franklin PCGS and NGC have different standards for FBL. One uses all the bell lines and the other one uses the top bell lines. Some graders look at the crack to see if the bells lines gobto the crack.

On my opening post photo you can see all this clearly. Even Pass and Stow is clear. That's an added bonus.

As for your coin, it's a proof but the details are soft and mushy. Looks like a few marks on the cheek as well. I would only give this coin a 62, but on a good day it may get a 63. That is not worth breaking the set to have it graded, at least to me.

19. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

What is "pass and stow"?
    Also, the third bell line on the left doesn't look like it reaches the crack. FYI, I don't know much about the FBL issues.

20. Collecting Nut

I'll be brief-history, dear boy history. Rant over. John Pass and John Stow were given the Liberty Bell to repair the crack. Their last names, Phila. And the date in Roman numerals are on the bell.

21. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Cool. Those seem to usually be unreadable. I am looking for one for my type set. I now want to find one where that is readable! I suppose MS will be necessary for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted