1950 $50 FRN Value.....

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Pi man, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

I know practically nothing about currency, so any help is appreciated. I was paid with this $50 FRN from 1950. Any thoughts on value?

1950 $50 FRN 1 001.jpg 1950 $50 FRN 2 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

Noooo! It has writing on the back :(

4. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

5. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

oh the agony. I've been shot! with ink.

6. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

At least the writing is 1961.
    P.S.Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Common district. Maybe $55 on a good day.

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Graffiti won't be on the best side when it comes to liquidating this note, like Funkee suggested, way too common of a note. Even in something close to UNC, you'll be lucky to get double face.

9. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

keep it. the value will rise someday

10. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I used to save these. Now I only save FRNs if they are Series 1934, or up to 1950E in VF+ condition with no writing or pinholes. It's hard to tie up thousands in $50 and $100 dollar bills for a $3 premium.

funkee likes this.
  11. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Precisely. And then when you take fees into account, you sometimes have to take a loss just to sell them. Then it makes more sense just to spend them.

harris498 likes this.
  12. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

i agree bill is really not worth much but if you arent strapped for cash save it for another 20 years and who knows maby you will be able to get 10 or 15 dollars out of it they are only getting rare because they are paper !!

13. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

PiMan, don't be afraid to go ask your bank if they have any 'old style' $5-$100 bills. I ended up with a great relationship with my bank tellers (BOA) and got some great older notes (even stars) for face. Probably only about 20% was realistically worth keeping, but is totally worth doing, if funds permit it. Usually they would hold on to LT and FRBNs they would find once and a while to themselves, but they wouldn't be afraid to show me and ask questions! Most bank tellers don't see older FRNs as anything special.

Draft saved Draft deleted