1950 50 dollar bill question

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dv8one, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

20170611_124604.jpg 20170611_124552.jpg When did they start putting in god we trust on paper money i got a 50 dollar bill that does not have it on there also is there anything else i should know about it

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The $50 was one of the last denominations to receive the In God We Trust motto. Series 1963A was the first series the $50 note received the motto.

This was right around 1965-1966

4. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

That note looks crisp. I would say that note has some nice premium value.

Dv8one likes this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The Series 1950-E were printed during the same time period as the Series 1963-A - the paper used for the earlier series was the older paper that had to be wet when it was printed and the latter series was dry printed. The last of the wet process paper was used up with the Series 1950-E notes.

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Very low print total for 1950E $50's.

Only three districts, New York, Chicago and San Francisco and star notes for each district. A little over five million non-star notes and a little over 500,000 star notes.

moneycostingmemoney and alurid like this.
  7. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

What are star notes i know nothing about paper money i collect coins guess i might start a paper collection now also

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  8. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Thanks I've had amazing luck the past couple days first a 1902 indian head penny now this 50 dollar bill i keep looking to see if someone lost theyre collection

9. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Was wondering why the bottom right corner says q24 but the top right only has a q is this an error

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Q is the plate position letter. Q24 is the plate position letter plus the plate number. It is not an error.

Dv8one likes this.
  11. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Thanks

12. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Start collecting them! Word on the street is in a few years they will stop printing them. Not all stars are worth more than face value, but it's safe to say that if in uncirculated condition it will be someday. The star leads or ends the serial number, depending on year and type of note. It is a replacement note for when a note is printed or cut improperly. They destroy it and print a replacement note, or star note.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replacement_banknote

IMG_0827.JPG

And a little heads up to star collectors, I have a "want to trade" thread for 2013 $1 stars in case anyone is looking to broaden their, and in turn my, star notes for this series.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/paper-trades-star-notes-for-star-notes.297687/

Dv8one likes this.
  13. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Thanks for info alot learned today recieving this 50 note

14. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

All star notes are printed before the regular issues are printed, then inserted, when they have defective notes. They do not print them after.

Dv8one and American Abroad like this.
  15. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for the clarification/correction.

16. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Dv8one and moneycostingmemoney like this.
  17. SavageFountain

SavageFountain Active Member

Attached Files:

18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Not a huge $50 fan especially when its in my money, just for the simple fact in fouls
    my counting up..LOL

Dv8one likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted