1950 $20 FRNs

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by afm1982, Aug 19, 2008.

1. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Hey guys. Today, I was chatting with a bank teller friend of mine, and she showed me a huge stack of 1950 $20 bills. The story was that some old lady came in deposited them. There must have been close to a thousand dollars worth. I was thinking of taking them all off her hands, but alas, I didn't have a spare grand.

I was wondering if anyone has any interest in them. If so, I can get them. None of them are in particularly terrible shape, and most seemed to be pretty crisp. There was a single star note, which I traded for a new twenty, but that was the only one I could take.

Any interest?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

sure. . lots of interest here... but me and you... same boat!! no extra grand to spend :(

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Me too. I was probably fortunate that I never had someone come in and deposit a large amount in vintage bills while I worked as a bank teller. I'd imagine that could have killed a whole paycheck.

5. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I would like to know if there are any New York notes in there..they must be AU or better for me to consider them at all....

Post images (not photoshopped) for us to look at...

RickieB

6. afm1982

There maybe some New Yorkers. What 1950 series are you looking for?

7. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Where in Florida? Since you don't plan on buying them, should be no harm in posting.

Thanks

8. afm1982

I went and checked out the bunch of them today, and chose what I believe are the four best. Here's a scan of them. I must apologize for the fact that I don't have a scanner, and the best option for me is using the copier at work. Unfortunately, it only does b/w, but I think the pics are good enough to give an idea of what there is.

I even found a few New Yorkers that are pretty good.

Attached Files:

9. afm1982

The bottom bill really isn't cut off. It is the correct size, but the copier chopped off the edge in the image.

10. taegsmum

taegsmum New Member

OK, Not a collector or anything like that, but I have a question for the experts? Today, I got a $20 out of an ATM it was a 1950 bill and when I tried to use it at the convenience store, the lady told me it was counterfeit. She used her handy little counterfeit pen. Just wondering if the pens actually work on something that old or if they will give a false positive for a fake? I see from the other posts that a bill this old is actually a bit of a collector's item as well. Just wondering what you folks in-the-know have to say! :) Thanks!

11. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

the pens do not work on the older bills.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Yeah, they don't work. The paper used in the older bills is different than used in the modern bills and those pens react to the paper type.

13. HnstAbe

HnstAbe Junior Member

Funny thing that 1950's $20 Bill

I really have to ask some questions about the twenty dollar bill from the 50's. First of all, was the strip put in the bill at the time: second, would the bill react when it is pen-check, and if it did...how; finally, are they still circulating?

14. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The polymer strip embedded in the paper began with Series 1990. The watermark began with Series 1996. Neither of these was put into the $1's or $2's.

Anything older than Series 1957 will show as fake to the pen test. (On the other hand, modern bills can also show as fake if they've been through a laundry cycle--the pens are generally not too reliable.)

Currency of the pre-1996 designs is no longer reissued by the Fed when they receive it, but all U.S. currency remains legal tender no matter how old it is, and there are still plenty of older-series bills outstanding. Generally, most FRNs of the 1950x and 1934x series are going to be worth very little premium over face value in worn condition, so if one of them gets spent, it'll likely stay in circulation until the Fed happens to get hold of it....

15. HnstAbe

HnstAbe Junior Member

Great answer "numbers"! To bad everyone does not know this. It would be a terrible and embarrasing thing to be accused of passing counterfeit 1950's 20 dollar bill especially after reading your informational reply about that particular bill.

That was enlightening. Have a great year!

16. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

HnstAbe:

If you would like a Great Resource for Banknotes, might I suggest the:

The Comprehensive Catalog of U.S. Paper Money by Gene Hessler and Carlson Chambliss

Regards,

RickieB

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Pens dont work on those!! If she has any questions have her
    Talk to me! i will set her strait:mouth:

18. HnstAbe

HnstAbe Junior Member

I think I would like that. I was accused of passing a counterfiet 1950 20 dollar bill. I did not say anything before, but after reading a few threads I came across a post that I related to. The establishment I went to is not knowledgeable about the pen thing and the strip. I am still feeling very bad about this because my name may have been slandered. Now I don't know what to do to clear my name. I really hate the fact that I couldn't order anything only if I had a credit card because of the accusation. I did speak to a district manager about it and he could not produce the date when I supposedly passed the billI used there services. It's not over yet. Thanks for your reply, you restored my confidence. Have a great night RickieB. -HnstAbe

Draft saved Draft deleted