1949S Doubled Die Lincoln??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tommyc03, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Can't do any better with pics right now but are these fat boy letters and numerals indicating a possible doubled die? I don't have another to compare with right now. Maybe jay or Jody might kick in here? I got it when I was a kid from Littleton Coin Co as a freebie. img323.jpg img324.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Either a commercial dryer or a rock tumbler. Both can achieve the same effect of flattening all the devices equally in all directions. And believe it or not, rock tumbling is one of the more horrific ways you'll see recommended on the internet for cleaning coins.

Any extra thickness caused by the hubbing process will be directional. Almost like the device was stretched in one direction, rather than extra thickness all over.

tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. jallengomez

Here's a 1943 that I found that has some extreme class VI doubling going on. Notice how the letters appear distorted, or stretched, in one direction. This is why I've always been leery of using the term "extra thickness" to describe class VI doubled dies because the devices aren't extra thick in all directions; they're distorted in one direction.

[​IMG]

jay4202472000 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I could go with the rock tumbler but wondering why none of the other devices were affected, the bust and wheat stalks still have very nice detail.

7. jallengomez

I still see detail, but a lot of flattening. If you look a the tips of the wheat ears they are almost becoming rounded, and the wheat stems are much thicker and rounded than they should be. These coins always remind me of the balloonish looking cartoon letters.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted