1948 Jeffferson Nickel Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Aiden deBruyn, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Aiden deBruyn

Aiden deBruyn New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Does anyone know if this is an error? There are two holes, one on each side that make a bump on the other side exactly on the other side. There are also two clipped parts on the edge of the coin. I need some help with errors and I love collecting coins. I recently got into it because I started working at a register and I notice a lot of different coins every day!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Those marks are called "post-mint damage" (PMD) and are not mint errors. These were probably made intentionally when someone didn't have anything better to do. The dings on the rim are also PMD, but they could have occurred either accidentally or on purpose.

Chris

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks like a BB gun target...

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Honestly looks like somebody used it for target practice for their BB gun... Wouldn't be surprised if some kid shot at a nickel for fun back then.

6. Aiden deBruyn

Aiden deBruyn New Member

Thank you, this seems like a great site. Very friendly and so much help. Ive been collecting mainly wheat pennies, errors (trying too lol), silver nickels, and buffalo nickels. I just started about a month ago when i found a very old buffalo nickel. im not sure what date it is, but I've been looking at it from different angles with the light and looks like a 1920. I wish to expand my collection but don't know how to get more coins. I don't have much money to buy them if that is how everyone obtains their prizes!

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

One way for beginners is to buy rolls from your bank. If you don't have enough money to order them by the box, you can still get most denominations a few rolls at a time.

Chris

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

an if you go to bank an get some rolls dont forget to ask the tellers if they have any half or dollar coins, u might get lucky an get a silver coin or an eisenhower dollar...

9. Aiden deBruyn

Aiden deBruyn New Member

Ive always found the 50 state quarters very interesting. I have been looking for the 2004 Wisconsin leaf error. Also what is a denomination? And when you buy rolls or boxes of quarters, do they cost less or more, or do you pay exactly the face value? And are they all the same years or spread apart?

Aiden

10. Aiden deBruyn

Aiden deBruyn New Member

Yes i love looking for dollar coins and half dollars. I have 2 half dollars and about 8 dollar coins.maybe 4 to 5 are the 2000 Sacajawea ones and I am also looking for the cheerios version, but not sure if they came in Cheerios boxes of cereal! LMAO

Aiden

11. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

You can get bank rolls at face value, but you will never know, new or old or mixed, what you will get --
    until you open them.

Have fun!

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I went to the bank once and got 24 dollars worth of loose Kennedy half dollars (for face value).

Ended up getting a 90% silver 1964 and a 40% silver 1968 (equalling something like 7 dollars worth of silver) - for face value!

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All caused by something after it left the mint. PMD.

Draft saved Draft deleted