1948 Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Endeavor, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Found this today...

20150417_234625.jpg 20150417_234643.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Another piggy bank or collection broken up.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Cool beans! Still amazes me that at my age little finds like this still make me smile.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Darn thing's almost as old as I am. Better condition, too!

Endeavor likes this.
  6. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Probably not. There are millions of prewar Jeffersons in circulation.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

They are IN circulation now, but they have not BEEN IN circulation for more than a few years. Every old coin you find now has entered circulation within the last 5-10 years at the most.

There is absolutely NO WAY the OP's find has been circulating for 67 years. (and 1948 is not "prewar", a term which is commonly applied to the years preceding WW2, or at least pre 1941, even though there have been 5 or 6 conflicts called wars since then.)

8. Endeavor

Yea it's unlikely that the coin has been in constant circulation (although possible since it's only a nickel). However I also find it unlikely that the coin was in someones collection and escaped. My guess would be that it was inadvertently sitting in a jar or something for years. Perhaps it was under a sofa cushion for decades or maybe in the corner of a closet that hadn't gotten cleaned out until recently.

I also thought the same thing... 1948 is not prewar. Maybe bugo was suggesting that if lower prewar mintages are still floating around in circulation then higher minted postwar nickels are surely in circulation. It would still be confusing though.

9. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I was not referring to the coin the OP posted.

10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Hell, there are war nickels out there if you're really lucky,

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Absolutely right. See my post #6 above.

12. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Coins in collections are not "in circulation"
    Coins hoarded in jars are not "in circulation"
    Coins found in old car seats or in home couch cushions are not "in circulation"
    Coins found buried, raw or in containers, are not "in circulation"
    Coins kept for sentimental reasons for years are not "in circulation"
    Coins obtained from grandma or uncle Bob are not "in circulation"

Coins from the above sources often enter circulation by any of several methods.

They may be stolen by a family member or non family member and simply spent.
    They may be seen by the holder as simply spending money.
    They may be disposed of as estate property when the owner dies and spent by non collector heirs.
    They may be sold legally to a collector or dealer who pulls out the dateless or excessively worn ones to be given away or spent.
    They may simply be found loose in any of a number of odd places and spent.

You may find the occasional 30 or 40 or 50 year old coin in your change from McDonalds but it came to be there from any combination of the above scenarios, but not from being in circulation for 30 or 40 or 50 years.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Seriously?

"Not in circulation"

So, it only counts while in a cash register or someone's pocket?

So, you feel that this 1948 nickel was 'treasured' by someone periodically for the last 67 years?

While perhaps absolutely factual, as not in circulation, I think you go a bit overboard.

That means that the coins on my dresser are "not in circulation" until they are spent. Then they are "not in circulation" until the guy/gal behind the register takes it out and gives it as change, then the recipient puts it in his pocket where it is "not in circulation" until he spends it again.

But you state "Coins from the above sources often enter circulation by any of several methods" so, if it is in the finder's pocket it ain't in circulation?

And "enter circulation by any of several methods" then, using your logic above, there is only one way to 'enter circulation" spend it.

specious argument.

also, you state: Coins obtained from grandma or uncle Bob are not "in circulation". Why not? Grandma or Uncle Bob got a coin in change and gave it to you, and then (while not in circulation until you speed to the store, enters circulation as you buy a candy bar. Where it goes back into the not "in circulation" category.

bugo likes this.
  14. Endeavor

Ok fine. But only cause you say so. :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I have also noticed that older Jeffersons tend to have a certain type of patina that newer nickels just don't have. They are almost yellow tinged. I can almost always spot a 1940s nickel just by looking at the wear.

Christobal likes this.
  16. Endeavor

Urine coated? Haha, just joking.

Seriously though, I know what you are talking about. It's funny how you can spot them without looking at the date first.

bugo likes this.
  17. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

M
    Maybe you should learn to read before you respond, and then use reasoning and logic when you do.

18. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

The 40s nickels often have a slanted striation to the metal as well as being that tan-yellow.

I go through boxes of nickels pretty regularly and have found maybe 10 1948 plains, 2 Ds and 2 Ss in the past year. Curiously, the most recent S is my best 48. Better than fine, almost AU quality.

You never know what you're going to find! :)

bugo and Endeavor like this.
  19. Endeavor

Interesting. When I found the 1948-P I immediately checked my Red Book to see mintage figures. I was a little disappointed to see 89M. Nonetheless I find it interesting and intend to keep it.

20. Christobal

Christobal Well-Known Member

It's all luck of the draw. I found 8 1946 plains in half a box yesterday. But before that, it had been months since I found one. And one roll maybe 3 months ago, I found a 38, two 39s and a 41! But that was a weak box overall. One box, 50 rolls, had a buffalo nickel, but NO 40s coins. But that box had some high quality 70s coins in it. :)

Your nickel is a nice keeper. Much nicer than most of my 48s.

Endeavor likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I do read, and use logic, perhaps you may try an exercise in ..

Oh never mind, another for the ignore list.

Being critical while ignorant is not the best way to post.

You may be a follower of Odez Paz.

Draft saved Draft deleted