1947 wheat penny. What coins speak to you?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jacob Redshift, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Jacob Redshift

Jacob Redshift New Member

I just read a fun thread on wheat pennies, and responded there, but I should be starting a new thread here:

I just found a 1947 wheat penny in “decent” condition. Haha. Meaning I have next to no idea about grading other than what I’ve read about in the last half an hour. I know it isn’t a mint 70! But it’s got nice lines and form on the design and lettering. Overall wear, though.

This is my first day on CoinTalk. Like most newbies, everyone wants to know what their “special” coin is worth (please share your opinions on this one), but I’d also like to know if you all have favorite beginner references online that I could peruse so I don’t ask ALL the same questions... just most of them!
    Really, monetary worth is nice to hear and all, and my curiosity is piqued, but I just like this coin. Sometimes things just speak to you. You know?

I’d love to see examples of coins that may not necessarily be worth big bucks, but just speak to you as a collector, and why.

Cheers!

2021-03-22 23.05.20.jpg 2021-03-22 23.03.55.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Probably XF.

Jacob Redshift likes this.
  4. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

5. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

This is a coin that speaks to me!
    WIN_20210318_16_29_05_Pro.jpg WIN_20210318_16_29_42_Pro.jpg

6. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Here is another one!!! WIN_20210307_15_16_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210307_15_16_13_Pro.jpg

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Jacob Redshift and 1stSgt22 like this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Found this in a roll. 20210320_120511.jpg 20210320_120528.jpg

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A lot of coins speak to me. A few of them even yell! Welcome to CT!

Jacob Redshift and 1stSgt22 like this.
  10. Jacob Redshift

Thanks, Everyone! Very cool shares!
    The links are especially appreciated.

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Since I have been a collector for over 60 years, I have lot of coins, tokens and medals that are favorites.

This Roman coin, which is called a denarius, was issued 11 months after Julius Caesar was assassinated. It has Julius Caesar on one side and Mark Anthony, who was one of his supporters on the other. It was minted in 43 BC.

Julius Caesar All.jpg

Putting the age of a 1947 cent in perspective, the coin is 74 years old. When I was a young collector in 1964, a 74 year old coin would have been dated 1890. I would have been jumping up and down if I had found an 1890 or any other Indian Cent in circulation. Getting a coin dated 1890 was not that tough because you still go to the bank and trade a paper dollar for a silver dollar that was older than that.

These old coins probably come of out hoards of cents that people take to the bank or super market counting machines. They might have been in one of those big bottles people use to hoard cents.

A cent does not have any buying power these days. Hence they don't circulate that much. In 1890, it was a big deal when a kid got one to buy some "penny candy." The coins saw a lot more use in circulation, and fewer of them have survived today.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  12. Jacob Redshift

Fascinating perspective and insight! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience!

Draft saved Draft deleted