1947 S error cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennywise4040, May 27, 2023.

1. Pennywise4040

Pennywise4040 Active Member

Any thoughts on this one? There seem to be two errors. The bottom of the second T in trust is missing and the L in liberty has something next to, or under it. The reverse is unremarkable. I would also appreciate an explanation for opinions. Thanks PICT0002.jpg PICT0005.jpg

Chris lefave likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

If the missing letter is greasy filled, it's the cleanest one I've seen. Perfectly removed the bottom while leaving the cross bar as a dash.
    After closer looks, what's going on with the L in LIBERTY could be PMD. At first, I thought possible planchet damage or even worn lamination, but I think it was hit a very long time ago, and the area has been worn down. I base this on the rim damage in that area, and the appearance of displaced metal.
    Let others chime in. @JCro57, @paddyman98, others?

4. Pennywise4040

Your observations are quite astute Mountain Man. I think you are exactly correct. The error(s) around the L is best explained as PMD. I truly appreciate your expertise.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm thinking a weird lamination crack.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like a lamination error to me.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I also think it is a lamination crack. The area has a weird look at the rim that doesn't quite look like a retained cud, So the only other reasoning without having it in hand is that it is a peeling lamination.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I suspect a combination of Die deterioration which maybe induced the lamination from stress, ( or visa versa). Jim

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Pennywise4040

I could not resist the temptation to remove some grime around the L in liberty with a thorn. There is a clear indication of PMD below the letter L. There also seems to be a figure under the L. Note also the raised area on the rim starting just above the L and ending below it.
    PICT0015.jpg

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

@paddyman98 got that one right. Definite retained lamination.

11. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

What do you mean? He always gets it right. :rolleyes::smuggrin:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

A good Teacher will always be looking for ways to stump the student. We should all be blessed.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted