1947 nickle no mint mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by scrawny, Dec 7, 2011.

1. scrawny

scrawny New Member

i found a 1947 nickle in change today and has no mint mark and i have several other coins i find daily without mints ive been hanging onto them hoping somone can shine some light on what is the reason for this and if they may be more valuable. im new to all this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tylercw7

Tylercw7 Member

Its just a Philadelphia mint some years they put the P and other years they dont

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Welcome to CT, scrawny!
    Your coins were minted in Philadelphia. Until recently, the Philadelphia mint did not include mint marks on coins minted there.

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Previous to 1965, mint marks appear on the reverse of the coin, to the right at the truncation of Monticello. It's common for new collectors to miss this, as we were all used to seeing them on the front of the coin.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Philadelphia placed mint marks on coins beginning in 1979 with the Suzy B dollar and the following year, on all coins except the cent. 1942-1945 nickels also exhibit a "P" on the reverse above Monticello.

7. scrawny

scrawny New Member

checked the back still no mint mark thanks for the info guys. umm in another thread i posted i showed my 51 franklin half it has black on parts of it like somone of the coins ive seen on here that others have in case's what does that mean if yall could tell me thanks.

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

The black parts from what I'm seeing is looks like dirt splotches, and some toning, or Tarnish, which happens to silver when hydrogen sulfide, one of several materials that causes silver to tarnish, is present in any material silver comes in contact with.

Draft saved Draft deleted