1947 Jefferson nickelDie Clash

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Willysilver, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

This one's really bad it's a 47 Philadelphia and it looks like another die Clash or another lamination error but on the obverse of the coin I can see them Monticello building going through the whole front of the coin right through Jefferson's face all the way across and I can see the steps in a few of the windows also I think it has one of those curved Clips I took a picture of it I never had one of those either but I looked them up and it doesn't really show the the side of the coin everybody shows them but it's just the clip out of it they don't show the the actual side of the coin the edge tell me what you think

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Your nickel does show signs of being a Struck on a Clipped Planchet coin.
    It also qualifies as a Struck on a Defective Planchet due to the Lamination on the reverse. Both of which are common errors.

Willysilver and paddyman98 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Incomplete Planchet and Lamination crack.

Willysilver likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not seeing any remnant of a Blakesley effect. The reverse looks ground down around the area. Beside the lamination I think the rest is damage.

6. Willysilver

I just now read your answer the cup is half empty yeah I think somebody took a Diamond blade Grindr to it and just did it like a little tiny bit that's what they did but one thing wrong with that they didn't have those in the 40s

7. Willysilver

Cool I finally found something when's the last time you found one if they're that common

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Blakesley effect can be non existent in some cases. In some strikes the larger the clip the less we see the effect.
    Just hang in there, especially if you like coins. Not really the buck, the Buck comes with knowledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted