1947 francisco

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dave363, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

I found this CRH I wanted to see what you guy's might be able to tell me about it.

I'm sure it doesn't have much or any value, but on the reverse it is stamped 1949 so when looking it up that where I get confused.
    Thanks
    Dave 20180129_060421_HDR.jpg 20180129_060443_HDR.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Hi Dave363 - Think I've got the same kind of Coin, displayed here. I haven't seen the reverse, where you say it's stamped 1949, so I'll just have to assume it's 1947. It is from, then, fascist Spain. Franco, the "caudillo" (fuhrer), was ally to Nazi Germany and fascist Italy. Those countries had assisted him, greatly, in the Spanish Civil War. Franco lived to rule Spain, as a fascist dictatorship, for many years, until he died. He had been absolutely merciless, even long after Spain's Civil War, and WWII had concluded, and he had scores of people executed.- Thankfully, Spain is now somewhat of a democracy. - I have a similar coin, also of one peseta, although mine is from 1966.

longshot and Dave363 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes..
    In Castellano De España means Spain Capture+_2018-01-29-09-03-47.png

5. Bert Gedin

Viva Espana !!!

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Oldhoopster likes this.
  7. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

On the obverse it stamped 1947 on the reverse it stamped 1949 in the stars
    Dave

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Bert Gedin

Stamped 1949 in the Stars ? Not so sure. It is stamped ?19 in one star and 49 in the other. That could, possibly, add up to 1949. But it isn't a cert !!! And the star- numbers could have been added on at a later stage. Why would anyone mint a coin with two different years of manufacture ?

9. furryfrog02

Read the ngc link I posted. That's how they did it in Spain back then. All the coins (At least that I've seen) are that way.

10. Bert Gedin

I wouldn't know, furryfrog02. Even if so, that wouldn't explain why there are two different years instead of one. By the way, if that was the custom, then, in Spain,
    could you explain the reasons for such a weird activity ?

11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

The coins were minted with the actual dates in the stars. Many Spanish coins of that era have the same thing. The dates do not change on the obverse. I am assuming that the date is the first year of that particular obverse, but I haven't looked at every series to know that. The stars are the only change from year to year. Why they do this, I don't know. Maybe it saves money to only change the stars each year and use the same dies every year. It sort of compares to Ottoman coins that have a regnal year, than follow up successive coins by changing the year of the reign.

12. furryfrog02

1947 is an important year in Spain. You can google as well as I can, and did, to find the reason why.
    1947 is probably commemorating the year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francoist_Spain) and the date in the stars is the actual year of mintage. Not difficult to understand I don't think.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. Bert Gedin

Interesting. 26 July 1947, Spain was declared a kingdom. Thank you, Juan Carlos, but we won't blame you for scratching numbers in Franco Coins !!!

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm certain that the coin has 19 and 49 in the stars and that indicates it was minted in 1949. This is common information available in the Krause World Coin catalog and on line.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

"CAUDILLO DE ESPANA" means, "LEADER OF SPAIN." "POR LA G.DE DIOS" means, "BY THE G(RACE) OF GOD." "1947" means, that's when that happened.

This is a coin commemorating that fateful date. As such, "1947" has to be on the obverse on every coin. The mintage dates are in the stars. "UNA GRANDE Y LIBRE," meaning, "ONE, GREAT AND FREE," the Francoist motto, is expressed in the ribbon. And there you have it, amigos...

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

They "do" not do this. ;) Actually Spain did use such dual dates between 1868 and 1982. The big and easy-to-read year is a sort of government authorization date; the small one (sometimes two digits in one star, sometimes four in two stars) refers to when the coin was minted. Not all Spanish coins minted in those years have such dual dates but most do. More than 25 years ago the Spanish mint stopped doing that and introduced the crowned M as a mintmark instead.

Christian

Stork likes this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Except for those authorized in different years ... The 1 peseta coin with that design comes with four different authorization dates: 1947, 1953, 1963 and 1966, the latter with a slightly different composition.

Christian

18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what this means.

Take for instance the "1957" 5 Pesetas. From 1957-1975, the coin is basically the exact same, except they change the date in the stars.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

ARE YOU REALLY 83 YEARS OLD?

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I didn't read that far in Wikipedia, but enough to know, 1947 is a commemorative, not a mintage date. And that's hardly strange on coins to have commemorative dates on them.

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

He was minted 83 years ago, he's saying.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted