1947 error penny or just damaged?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin Farley, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Anyone know what the heck is going on with this penny? Seems like if this was all done to the penny outside the mint it would have had more of an effect on the devices, but what do I know. Appreciate the look

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks harshly cleaned . :(

4. Kevin Farley

yeah that's what I chalked it up as, but the wheat ears and lettering on the reverse look almost untouched. Seems like there'd be a lot more damage and distortion to them after someone sanded them with heavy duty sandpaper or whatever the heck happened here lol

5. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I agree! Looks like scratches on the surface going different directions!! Lost a good bit of value when that happened!! Sorry!!!:(:(

Kevin Farley likes this.
  6. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Defo harsh cleaning> Ouch!

Kevin Farley likes this.
  7. Kevin Farley

No biggie lol, just stood out in the giant bin of wheat pennies and I don't remember ever seeing it before. Thanks for the input

8. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

If you're happy with it that's all that matters!! Some collectors aren't bothered by cleaned coins!! A matter of taste I guess!!!

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely cleaned

10. Kevin Farley

No It's not that I like or don't mind cleaned coins, This penny is just insignificant lol. I was only asking about it to because it seemed like there could be more to it than someone cleaning it because there was so much going on. As far as I'm concerned its kind of cool looking from a distance, but its pretty much worth it's weight in copper

1stSgt22 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted