1947 Canadian no dot or maple leaf beside the date

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tristen1230, Dec 30, 2011.

1. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

1947 Canadian Nickel No Dot or Maple Leaf Beside Date

So I just came across this coin when I was putting it in a coin folder and saw maple leaf and dot I guess. I looked on this one. I have two and the other one was a maple leaf. This one has no signs of real big ware. It does not have any dot or maple leaf markings beside the date. Here is a picture to compare the two. The one on the left is the one which I think is an error.:​

Grade 4.jpg

20101118_1947dotCanadaNickelReverse.JPG

^ If it had a dot it should look like this^

I hope it is clear and large enough to tell. If I may also add if this is an error coin what could the price be. I have seen none with my searching that have no dot or maple leaf.​

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Hi Tristen. Welcome to CT. Very interesting. Obviously you know there are two varieties for this year. The dot, or the maple leaf. Strange to see one with neither. Could be a grease filled die, or a weak dot. I really don't know. I am curious for sure though. I hope some Canadian experts can get in on this.

4. Harry Behemoth

Harry Behemoth Junior Member

5. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

Okay. Thanks. =) It is quite weird because both my coin folders only say dot and leaf. Not just without them.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

7. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I don't collect Canadian coins but I know there is a rare Canadian dime. I believe it is a 1936 one if I'm remembering right. it has something to do with whether it has a dot or not but can't remember which way it is.

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

You are remembering correctly! It is the 1936 dot. Only five known examples. Value is about 200k in AU.

9. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

What about the leaf on a dime? Was it an emergency mark?
    [​IMG]

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

"In 1947 India received its independence, so "IND IMP" (India's Emperor) had to be removed from the King's titles on all British Commonwealth coins dating 1948 or newer. This was a problem for Canada, as new hubs for the dies had to be created in England with the new inscription, and there were delays in receiving them. Because coins were needed, and the new 1948 dies were not ready, for the first part of 1948 coins were struck with the "IND IMP" inscription, but dated 1947 with a small maple leaf behind the date to indicate they were actually minted in 1948."

source: http://www.calgarycoin.com/modern/cd5cent.htm

11. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

It's actually the 1936 dot penny.[​IMG]

12. BHBernie

BHBernie New Member

Wow thanks Rascal, I'll keep an eye out for one of those.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The 1936 dot dime is extremely expensive as well. There are four of the cents known, one business strike and three specimen pieces. There are also four of the dimes. On the five cent the dot was on the 1937 issue and is common. On the twenty five cent it was on 1936 and they are only scarce. There were no 36 or 37 dot 50 cent or dollar coins.

All of the cents were tied up for many years in the Pitman collection They went for $115K to $121K each. At least one of the dimes was in Pitman and it went for $120K. I don't know if the other dimes were in Pitman as well. As far as I know none of the cents have ever come back on the market. The cents are the ones that attract all the attention because the dimes have no official mintage figures so they are probably "patterns". The cents on the other hand have an official mintage of almost 700K coins! Yet today only one business strike is known. And the non-dot cents have their own separate mintage figure.

15. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I realized what I had posted re: the penny. I had forgotten all about the dime. My apologies.:eek:

16. error collector

error collector New Member

I have the same 1947 5 cent coin, although there is evidecnce that there may have been a dot, in other words it looks like the die shattered and left several microscopic specks

17. error collector

In fact I just found the 47 no dot a few minutes ago myself, whaaaa, did you send it to me, lol.
    Also found a 1937 Penny in MS63 with several cracks ( probably from the same fault line, that basicall goes completely across at CANADA and yet another crack fron the nose to the upper lip. Wonder what this might bring?

18. error collector

Anyone interested in a 1938 liberty dime where the reverse was not struck? Obverse is fine to very fine. I have a lot of weird coins that are available for trade.

19. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

The 1947 (no mark) and 1947 Maple Leaf are fairly common. The 1947 dot is a bit of an enigma, but it is the rarest variety for that year. Depending on which camp you believe in, it is either a die chip or a punch mark used prior to the Maple Leaf being put on the coin. There is nothing in the mint reports to suggest the use of a dot, but the 1947 25-cent and dollar (pointed 7) also have the 'dot'.

20. Jasongj

Jasongj Member

Tried to look up this nickel 1937 with a dot couldn't find anything. 15919947304586375831485765449117.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted