1946 war nickel rare error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by brian caulfield, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I'm actually pulling for you Vernice. May your pockets jingle!

Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Looks like a normal nickel.
    The war nickel planchets, especially one that circulated have a variety
    of patinas. A smaller normal photo will work better. But it's about
    100% that this is just a nickel.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The densities are quite different, Copper is 8.96 and silver is 10.5. Silver is almost 15% higher.

The last two pictures look like a regular copper nickel alloy five cent piece. If you really want to tell, find someone with an XRF gun and have them shoot it. If it is a war nickel planchet the results will make it clear.

Stevearino and Oldhoopster like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I wish I had a silver war nic for every foreign coin I have pulled out of junk boxes thinking them to be silver but turned out to be cu/ni.

ZoidMeister and Stevearino like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Most circulated war nickels have a very distinctive toning/patina due to the composition, and this differs from standard composition nickels. Your coin has all of the visual characteristics of a standard circulated nickel. It has none of the visual characteristics of a normally circulated war nickel.

I’m curious as to why you believe you may have beaten Lotto-type odds and found a transitional planchet error, particular when it has the visual characteristics of a standard 75Cu25Ni planchet? Are we missing something in your pics?

As others have said, a handheld XRF run by an experienced operator should be able to easily determine if it's a standard 75Cu25Ni composition

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Michael K

Because You Tube and mystery bank lady who knows everything.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The War ended in 1945.

9. Michael K

There were some left over war nickel planchets that got minted accidentally
    in 1946. This is not one of them.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. Mary r Perry

Mary r Perry New Member

I read that it is not a war nickle. The error is silver was left in the mold and several 1946 nickles got through and thats what makes them rare.

Vernice Glenn likes this.
  11. Kentucky

...close, but they don't use a mold for US coins, they are struck from planchets that are punched out of stock. The bins holding the planchets from 1945 might have had some silver blanks that got struck as 1946's. Welcome to CT

Cochisz, Oldhoopster and Stevearino like this.
  12. Mikemsg

Mikemsg Active Member

That's deff not a 1946 silver there are few out there tho

13. Think I found one

Attached Files:

14. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

What is it about this nickel that makes you think it may be silver instead of the usual copper nickel composition?

15. 71Avalon

71Avalon Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread that someone revived, but I'm guessing OP didn't get the results from NGC that he wanted. o_O

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Geez, I just got called in to edit some reported content, only to find later that the flagged content I edited was part of a nearly six year old thread. :banghead::rolleyes:

17. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

But, . . . . . it's the internet . . . . . .

Z

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Indeed, though I’ll again wish in vain that all newbie visitors to the site would learn how to post their own new threads rather than dig up ancient ones to post in.

(I know- it’s not like that that will ever happen…)

I often overlook the timestamps. I guess they do the same, when they click in from a Google search or whatever.

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Kentucky

:arghh:

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Is there any way to LOCK the Error Coins forum to members who have less than 6 months tenure or 2,000 page views in that forum section?

Just sayin' . . . . . .

Yeah, I know, revenue from page views will plummet.

Maybe we could design an error "Quiz" that new members must pass to be given posting rights in Error Coins . . . . . . .

@paddyman98 ?

Z

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted