1946 war nickel rare error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by brian caulfield, Apr 21, 2018.

1. EatYourWheatPennies

EatYourWheatPennies Active Member

If I were you I wouldn't have said that, you just lost respect from the well known members and now whatever you post you are likely not to get as many answers as before you said that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

I don't believe they are exactly saying war nickel like that... but are trying to say it is struck on a planchet intended for a "war nickel"? and truth be told... I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't found one... but there are 1944 P nickels that DON'T have a MM above the building. these are called "henning nickels".
    http://www.error-ref.com/henning-counterfeit-nickel/

4. Vernice Glenn

Vernice Glenn New Member

5. Keanebuddah73

Keanebuddah73 New Member

I have a 1946 No mint mark nickel and it weighs 4.70 Grams any thoughts?

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A 1946 with no mint mark is normal. Welcome to CT.

R_rabbit likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nickels weigh 5.0g. But if it is old and worn it will weigh a little less.
    Unfortunately with many of the old Jeffersons they are common and
    only worth a nickel.

R_rabbit likes this.
  8. Vernice Glenn

Vernice Glenn New Member

So I'm told the best way to be sure is test the metal for silver. I have a 1946 nmm nickel and it kept resurfacing when looking through my coins so I went looking for information about it. That's when I ran across the YouT video. I know a lady who worked in the bank who has some coins that were silver but not supposed to be so I took mine to her and she said yes it's silver! So now I'm going to coin shop for second opinion and then on to grading company.

9. Michael K

It's not silver.
    The 1946 is very common. The 1946 on a silver war nickel planchet is incredibly rare. And yet, every person comes on to this site and they have a 1946 silver.
    You don't.

10. bantha421

bantha421 Active Member

You tell the difference by flipping it with you thumb. First get a known silver and known cupronickel nickel. When you flip them they should both has noticeably different sounds, compare that to the one in question to determine the composition.

11. Michael K

Not scientifically accurate at all.
    A nickel is 75% copper and 25% nickel.
    A war nickel is 35% silver 56% copper and 9% manganese.
    The density of copper and silver are similar. The small amount of silver in a
    war nickel makes this test almost invalid.

12. Vernice Glenn

Vernice Glenn New Member

Because this is a transitional coin I know it's not SILVER but could contain silver. Rare or not a person can get one like 1969 s or 1943. But for this who think they have one don't sleep on it or spend because you've been convinced it's not special. Cut against the grain til you KNOW. I brought this up on a fb coin page and the commentator who has collected for 50 years didn't know about this coin but he says now I taught him something.

13. Michael K

Let's see a photo of this 1 in a billion coin.
    It doesn't matter that it is transitional. It is either the 1 of 2 types that
    I have described. If it is not a war nickel planchet, it is not going to have
    "some" silver in it at all.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Walter Marx

Walter Marx Active Member

War nickels have mint mark over Monticello. P,D,or S.

15. Michael K

If it is a 1946 on a war nickel planchet, it won't have the large mint mark.
    That OP was over a year ago.
    We have been discussing the more recent claims of a 1946 off metal error.

16. Jack Wycoff

Jack Wycoff New Member

Brian, your 5c Jefferson looks a though it may be on a "war nickel planchet" but sometimes looks can be deceiving. You would need to check it for silver content. It however is Not a war nickel per say because they were as stated above minted from 1942 thru 1945 and each would have the mint mark on the reverse above the Monticello dome.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Are you going to post your coin or just talk about it?

18. Michael K

Brian is not here.
    brian caulfield was last seen:
    May 10, 2018

We have moved on to Vernice's coin.

And again Jack and Walter you really are not paying attention.

IF IT WAS A 1946 THAT WAS STRUCK ON A WAR NICKEL PLANCHET
    IT WOULD NOT HAVE A LARGE MINT MARK SINCE IT WAS STRUCK
    WITH 1946 DIES.

Continuing to mention that war nickels have a large mint mark over the dome of Monticello has nothing to do with a 1946 struck on a 35% silver planchet. Such coins do exist but they are rare. They can't have a large mintmark because it is 1946 but it can still be struck on a war nickel blank.
    I doubt Vernice has this coin, and now we are waiting for photos.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Pickin and Grinin and Stevearino like this.
  19. Vernice Glenn

Vernice Glenn New Member

20. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I have no way of testing, but that nickel does not look like it was struck on a silver/war nickel planchet. It looks like every other well-circulated Jefferson. JMHO

I would love to be proved wrong.

Steve

Vernice Glenn likes this.
  21. Vernice Glenn

Vernice Glenn New Member

We will see. I don't want to prove you wrong I just want to prove me right. Pockets could stand it!

Draft saved Draft deleted