1946 war nickel rare error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by brian caulfield, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Pure silver is 10.5 not 9.5. The specific gravity of awar nickel is between 9.25 and 9.32 specific gravity of the coppernickel five cent piece is 8.92. You'd have to take a little care, and you only need a scale capable of going to at least two decimal places, but you should be able to tell war nickel from a coppernickel five cent piece using specific gravity. Accuracy to one decimal place is not too difficult to achieve. To go beyond that though you're going to need a really good balance and you'll have to make allowances for water temperature, drafts, and other variables.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Punctuation is your friend, and ours too. Even a scattered period every now and then would have made the greatest difference.

Who are these grand experts telling you it may be real and that driving across your state to personally take it to NGC is a bright idea? Sorry, but this is either BS, you're misinterpreting, or at best anyone saying such a thing thought it a nice way of telling you to pound sand.

If you really want to know the truth behind your coin, I don't blame you, but there's an intelligent way to go about it and this isn't it. Why not simply submit via the mail to one of the second tier TPGs, saving yourself a big hassle and money in the process? The result will be no different, and if the impossible comes true, you can always resubmit in order to get it into top plastic.

As for the rest of this drivel, I would be very interested in learning exactly how you would identify someone able to give you "advice based on facts and knowledge learned through experience"? From what I see the only qualifier would be telling you what you want to hear. The "hater" nonsense, as always, is nothing more than deflective ridiculousness said in a lame attempt to position yourself as a victim. The fact is that most everyone here would love for you to have the real deal, but we've seen this same story played out again and again, and it's always the same thing. This is about the coin and only the coin, and thus far you've utterly failed to present even remotely convincing evidence or argument for it being anything other than suspected. Still, I wish you the best of luck, but will not hold my breath on receiving the promised update and this, friend, is based upon "on facts and knowledge learned through experience". Funny how that works, isn't it?

Stevearino likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

Sorry, dear enlightened one, but you've taken this to an entirely new level of stupid and is just too much for me.

5. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

Here is a MID year (1942 D) nickel before silver war nickels, Mint mark at right of Monticello.

S20180423_0009.jpg S20180423_0010.jpg

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is that a horizontal D on the 42?

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

No, just slightly tilted because the MM was hand punched into the die. It's not tilted enough to be add value to the coin.

Michael K likes this.
  8. TERRY KUNTZ

TERRY KUNTZ Member

I see the English comp police, were at it again, this time the other new guy is the culprit. It looks to me like when you are called on something, you may not have expected, you show your brilliance by resorting to name calling. You could have just let it go, but I won't let some bully push me around on here. Or anywhere.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Your the one who tried speaking intellectually with one of the kings around here. I would consider making a bridge if you can't handle the rouse.

10. TERRY KUNTZ

TERRY KUNTZ Member

pickin & grinin, how you doing? have you read all the back & forths we have had? Unless I am nuts, in my 2nd post I was trying to play everything down, at the same time, admitting i went to far. I think everone else got the message or they just blew it off.This is crazy and I am done with him, I will try to just mind my own business.

11. BooksB4Coins

You act like you're somehow more enlightened than the rest of us, so I simply try to acknowledge your superiority and am now a "bully" for it. Brilliant deduction, Sherlock.

12. Pickin and Grinin

I am not sure why you took sides.
    Welcome to CT.
    What do you collect?

TERRY KUNTZ and Stevearino like this.
  13. TERRY KUNTZ

TERRY KUNTZ Member

I said I would be quite and I will

14. TERRY KUNTZ

TERRY KUNTZ Member

P&G, thankyou, I used to collect any U S coins I could get my hands on, I still do a little, but mostly now its pennies.

Stevearino and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

QUOTE="TERRY KUNTZ, post: 3062891, member: 93777"]P&G, thankyou, I used to collect any U S coins I could get my hands on, I still do a little, but mostly now its pennies.[/QUOTE]
    Large ones, Flying Eagles, Indians or Lincolns?

TERRY KUNTZ likes this.
  17. TERRY KUNTZ

TERRY KUNTZ Member

Large ones, Flying Eagles, Indians or Lincolns?[/QUOTE]
    I have some of all, but mainly lincolns. I just retired so I like to go to the bank and get a box of pennies and see what I can find. It seams to be getting worse every box. It's like they are even picked over.

Stevearino and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  18. TERRY KUNTZ

TERRY KUNTZ Member

19. brian caulfield

brian caulfield New Member

I believe so. Why is it not supposed to be there or something?

20. Michael K

21. Michael K

This is it, but it doesn't look very horizontal to me.
    4015_37655743_2200.jpg

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted